Back 

FI/01/18/M

 

FINANCE COMMITTEE

MINUTES

18th Meeting, 2001 (Session 1)

Tuesday 11 September 2001

 
 

Present:

Brian Adam

Mr David Davidson

Donald Gorrie

Alasdair Morgan

Dr Richard Simpson

Elaine Thomson (Deputy Convener)

Mike Watson (Convener)

 

 

 

The meeting opened at 10.05 am.

 

1. Declarations of Interest: Brian Adam had no interests to declare other than those in the Membersí Register of Interests. Alasdair Morgan had no interests to declare.

2. Committee Business: The Committee agreed to take items 6 and 7 in private.

3. Financial Reporting Advisory Board (FRAB): The Committee considered and noted a letter from the Minister for Finance and Local Government.

4. Police and Fire Services (Finance) (Scotland) Bill: The Committee considered a paper on the Billís progress at Stage 1 and agreed not to report on the Bill.

5. External Research Projects: The Convener informed the Committee that tenders were being considered for the proposed external research into Outcome Budgeting.

The Committee agreed to meet with Professor Arthur Midwinter to discuss the recommendations in his report, The Real Scope for Change: Appraising the extent to which Parliament can suggest changes to programme expenditure.

The Committee also agreed that it would like to meet with the Minister for Finance and Local Government to discuss how to take forward the issues raised in the report.

 

6. 2002/03 Budget Process (in private): The Committee agreed to meet in southwest Scotland at Stage 2 and to consider a further paper at its next meeting.

 

The Committee agreed guidance to be issued to subject committees at Stage 2 subject to specified changes being made.

The Committee agreed in principal to seek the appointment of a standing adviser on the budget process and agreed to consider a further paper in due course.

7. PFI/PPP Inquiry (in private): The Committee considered a paper from its adviser on the structure of the inquiry and agreed to consider a revised paper at its next meeting.

The meeting closed at 11.20 am.

Callum Thomson
Clerk to the Committee


Back