1. Declarations of Interest: Brian Adam had no
interests to declare other than those in the Membersí Register
of Interests. Alasdair Morgan had no interests to declare.
2. Committee Business: The Committee agreed to take
items 6 and 7 in private.
3. Financial Reporting Advisory Board (FRAB): The Committee
considered and noted a letter from the Minister for Finance
and Local Government.
4. Police and Fire Services (Finance) (Scotland) Bill: The
Committee considered a paper on the Billís progress at Stage
1 and agreed not to report on the Bill.
5. External Research Projects: The Convener informed
the Committee that tenders were being considered for the proposed
external research into Outcome Budgeting.
The Committee agreed to meet with Professor Arthur Midwinter
to discuss the recommendations in his report, The Real Scope
for Change: Appraising the extent to which Parliament can suggest
changes to programme expenditure.
The Committee also agreed that it would like to meet with the
Minister for Finance and Local Government to discuss how to
take forward the issues raised in the report.
6. 2002/03 Budget Process (in private): The Committee
agreed to meet in southwest Scotland at Stage 2 and to consider
a further paper at its next meeting.
The Committee agreed guidance to be issued
to subject committees at Stage 2 subject to specified changes
The Committee agreed in principal to seek
the appointment of a standing adviser on the budget process
and agreed to consider a further paper in due course.
7. PFI/PPP Inquiry (in private): The Committee
considered a paper from its adviser on the structure of the
inquiry and agreed to consider a revised paper at its next meeting.
The meeting closed at 11.20