ERD/S2/04/18/M

 
Horizontal Rule Image

ENVIRONMENT AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

MINUTES

18th Meeting, 2004 (Session 2)

Wednesday 30 June 2004

Horizontal Rule Image

Present:

Sarah Boyack (Convener)

Karen Gillon

Mr Alasdair Morrison

Eleanor Scott (Deputy Convener)

Rob Gibson

Maureen Macmillan

Nora Radcliffe

Apologies: Roseanna Cunningham and Alex Johnstone

Also present: Dr Sylvia Jackson and David Mundell

The meeting opened at 11.42 am .

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee considered the following negative instruments-

the Waste Management Licensing Amendment ( Scotland ) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/275);

the Inshore Fishing (Prohibition of Fishing and Fishing Methods) ( Scotland ) Order 2004, (SS1 2004/276);

the TSE ( Scotland ) Amendment Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/277);

the Common Agricultural Policy Non-IACS Support Schemes (Appeals) ( Scotland ) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/278);

the Pig Carcase (Grading) Amendment ( Scotland ) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/279);

the Beef Carcase (Classification) ( Scotland ) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/280);

the Conservation of Seals ( Scotland ) Order 2004, (SSI 2004/283).

The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for Environment and Rural Development seeking clarification on the inclusion of sludge treatment in SSI 2004/275, prior to concluding its consideration of the instrument.

The Committee further agreed, being content with the remaining instruments, to make no recommendation to the Parliament.

The Committee also considered the following negative instrument-

the Environmental Protection (Restriction on Use of Lead Shot) ( Scotland ) Regulations 2004, (SSI 2004/289).

The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for Environment and Rural Development to follow up serious concerns which had been expressed by the Subordinate Legislation Committee regarding this instrument, and seeking a response, prior to concluding its consideration of the instrument.

2. Work programme: The Committee considered its forward work programme and-

noted the likely timeframes for undertaking work in relation to the Water Services etc ( Scotland ) Bill and other forthcoming Executive legislation;

agreed that it wished to receive informal briefings from Executive officials on consultations on Quality & Standards III and the Principles of Charging, and formal evidence from the Minister on these issues during its consideration of the Water Services etc ( Scotland ) Bill at Stage 1;

noted the likely time commitments arising from referral of other business such as subordinate legislation, budget scrutiny, and European matters;

noted the likely time commitments arising from work related to petitions on odour nuisance;

agreed to follow up issues relating to the development of the Scottish Rural Development Plan 2007-13 as part of regular European Updates;

noted that a final research report on sustainable development would be available in September, and that further options for following up this work would be provided at this time;

agreed to seek Convener's Group approval for a visit to Cardiff ; and

deferred making any decision on a Committee away day until later this parliamentary year.

The meeting closed at 12.02 pm .

 

Tracey Hawe

Clerk to the Committee