Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 76/2008: Monday 12 May 2008
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

European and External Relations Committee
13 May 2008
10th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Declaration of interests: Patricia Ferguson MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 7 in private.

3. Inquiry into international development: The Committee will take evidence from—

Kadie Armstrong, Global Education Coordinator (formal sector) International Development Education Association of Scotland (IDEAS);

Maureen Brough, Community Learning Coordinator, Working Together for Change; and

Karen Grant, Scottish Education and Action for Development (SEAD);

and then from—

John McAllion, Chair of the Scottish Fair Trade Forum;

Betsy Reed, Fair Trade Nation Development Officer, Scottish Fair Trade Forum; and

George Finlayson, Scotland Malawi Business Group.

4. European Maritime Strategy: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Scottish Government.

5. Lisbon Treaty inquiry: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk.

6. Brussels Bulletin: The Committee will consider the Brussels Bulletin.

7. Annual report: The Committee will consider a draft annual report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 27 May, the Committee will take oral evidence from Linda Fabiani MSP, Minister for Europe, External Affairs and Culture, in relation to its inquiry on international development. The Committee will also take oral evidence in relation to its inquiry on the Services directive.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
13 May 2008
13th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Efficient Government Programme: The Committee will take evidence from —

John Swinney MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth and Craig Russell, Head of Efficient Government Delivery, Scottish Government.

2. Inquiry into the methods of funding capital investment projects: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jon Ford, Head of Health Policy and Economic Research Unit, British Medical Association;

Dave Watson, Scottish Organiser, Policy, UNISON; and

Ken Wimbor, Assistant Secretary, the Educational Institute of Scotland.

3. Inquiry into the methods of funding capital investment projects (in private): The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence sessions to date, in order to inform the drafting of its report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20 May, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on its inquiry into the methods of funding capital investment projects.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
13 May 2008
8th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Inquiry into the availability on the NHS of cancer treatment drugs: The Committee will take evidence from—

Nicola Sturgeon MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing, Dr Sara Davies, Public Health Consultant, Healthcare Policy and Strategy Directorate and Elizabeth Porterfield, Head of National Planning, Healthcare Policy and Strategy Directorate, the Scottish Government.

2. Consideration of new petitions: The Committee will give consideration to the following new petitions—

PE1146 Fresh Talent Initiative

Jennifer Newman will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition

PE1139 Scottish Agricultural Wages Board

Scott Foley, Rab Stewart and Scot Walker, Unite – the Union, will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of this petition

PE1138 Preservation of local ice rinks

PE1142 Water charges relief

PE1143 Right of Notification

PE1144 dotSCO

PE1145 Deposit and return scheme on beverage containers

3. Consideration of current petitions: The Committee will give further consideration to the following current petitions—

PE986 Protection from broken glass

PE1051 Charter for Grandchildren

PE1052 Promoting the services of independent midwives

PE1055 Ownership of electromagnetic broadcast spectrum

PE1056 Diagnosis and treatment of deep vein thrombosis

PE1057 Research funding into endometriosis

PE1058 Impact of 24-hour supermarket developments

PE1066 Symbol for the Parliament Chamber

PE1073 Catholics in Scotland’s prisons

PE1082 Scottish Civic Forum

PE1107 Free public transport for under 18 year olds

PE1112 Decisions of local planning inquiries

PE1113 Residential and abstinence treatment

PE1114 Review of childcare strategy

PE1115 National and regional transport strategies

4. Notification of new petitions: The Committee will consider a paper indicating new petitions lodged since the last Committee meeting.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20 May, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take evidence on its inquiry into the availability on the NHS of cancer treatment drugs.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
13 May 2008
10th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Inquiry into Ferry Services in Scotland: The Committee will take evidence on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland from—

Peter Timms, Chairman, David MacBrayne Ltd;

Lawrie Sinclair, Managing Director, CalMac Ferries Ltd; and

Bill Davidson, Chief Executive, NorthLink Ferries Ltd;

and then from—

Gordon Ross, Managing Director, Western Ferries (Clyde) Ltd; and

Andrew Banks, Chief Executive, Pentland Ferries.

Proposed future business

At a future meeting on 3 June, the Committee will take evidence from the Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change on its inquiry into ferry services in Scotland.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
13 May 2008
7th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Cross-Party Group: The Committee will consider an application for recognition from the proposed Cross-Party Group on Russia.

2. Annual Report: The Committee will consider its annual report.

3. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 7 in private.

4. Audit Committee - title and remit (in private): The Committee will consider a note by the Clerk.

5. Complaint (in private): The Committee will conclude consideration of a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

6. Complaint: The Committee will announce its decision at Stage 3 on a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

7. Complaint: The Committee will consider its draft report.

8. Complaint (in private): The Committee will undertake its initial consideration of a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

9. Review of Volume 2, Section 8 of the Code of Conduct (in private): The Committee will consider its draft revised Section 8 of the Code of Conduct.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 3 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider responses from other committees on its inquiry into equalities reviews and guidance for MSPs on handling difficult correspondents or constituents.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
13 May 2008
16th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the Government’s response to the Committee’s letter on the following bill—

Public Health etc. (Scotland) Bill.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the response from the member in charge to the Committee’s letter on the following bill—

Register of Scottish Tartans Bill at Stage 1.

3. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the Scottish Government’s responses in relation to the following—

the Advice and Assistance (Limits, Conditions and Representation) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/draft);

the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992 Amendment Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft); and

the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/166).

4. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following––

the Advice and Assistance (Limits, Conditions and Representation) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/draft); and

the Scotland Act 1998 (Transfer of Functions to the Scottish Ministers etc.) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft).

5. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Guar Gum (Restriction on First Placing on the Market) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/176).

6. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Schools (Health Promotion and Nutrition) (Scotland) Act 2007 (Commencement No.2) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/171).

7. Annual Report: The Committee will consider a draft annual report for the parliamentary year from 9 May 2007 to 8 May 2008.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 19 May, the Committee will consider the Government’s response to the Energy Bill Legislative Consent Memorandum, Scottish Statutory Instruments and other documents subject to parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme Committee
13 May 2008
6th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 3.00 pm in Committee Room 3

1. Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme Inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider a revised draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider a final report on its inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
14 May 2008
10th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. The Scottish Register of Tartans Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1 from—

Michael McElhinney, Head of Manufacturing Policy and Helena Janssen, Senior Principal Legal Officer, Scottish Government Legal Directorate, Scottish Government; and

George MacKenzie, Keeper of the Records of Scotland;

and then from—

Mr Robin Blair, Former Lord Lyon King of Arms;

Brian Wilton, Director of the Scottish Tartans Authority; and

Keith Lumsden, Director Scottish Tartans World Register;

and then from—

Kirsty Scott, Head of National Textiles Team, Scottish Enterprise; and

Dr Nick Fiddes, Managing, Director Scotweb.

2. Annual report: The Committee will consider a draft annual report for the Parliamentary year from 9 May 2007 to 8 May 2008.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 21 May, the Committee is expected to take evidence on the reform of the Enterprise networks, and the establishment of Skills Development Scotland.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
14 May 2008
12th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the Fundable Bodies (The Scottish Agricultural College) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/draft) from—

Maureen Watt MSP, Minister for Schools and Skills, Louise Sutherland, Team Leader, Higher Education and Governance and Norman Harvey, Head of Science Reform and Finance, Scottish Government; and

Martin Fairbairn, Director (Governance Management, Appraisal and Policy), Scottish Funding Council.

2. Subordinate legislation: Maureen Watt MSP (Minister for Schools and Skills) to move S3M-1784:

That the Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee recommends that the draft Fundable Bodies (The Scottish Agricultural College) (Scotland) Order 2008 be approved.

3. Creative Scotland Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1 from—

Calum Davidson, Head of Key Sectors, Highlands and Islands Enterprise;

Adrian Gillespie, Director of Digital Markets and Enabling Technologies, Scottish Enterprise; and

Councillor Harry McGuigan, Community Well-Being and Safety Spokesperson, COSLA;

Not before 11 am:

and then from—

Linda Fabiani MSP, Minister for Europe, External Affairs and Culture, Heather Jack, Deputy Director, Culture and Gaelic Division and Greig Chalmers, Head of Creative Scotland and Broadcasting Team, Scottish Government.

4. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether its consideration of a draft Stage 1 Report on the Creative Scotland Bill at its next two meetings should be taken in private.

5. Budget process 2009-10 (Stage 2): The Committee will consider its approach to this year’s budget process.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 21 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report on the Creative Scotland Bill. The Committee will also take evidence on petition PE1046 in relation to class sizes.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Audit Committee
14 May 2008
9th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Declaration of interests: Charlie Gordon MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 8 in private.

3. Managing increasing prisoner numbers in Scotland: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on his report entitled "Managing increasing prisoner numbers in Scotland". (AGS/2008/5).

4. Overview of Scotland’s health and the performance of the NHS: The Committee will consider a response from the Accountable Officer on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Overview of Scotland’s health and the performance of the NHS". (AGS/2007/10).

5. Dealing with offending by young people: The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Community Safety on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Dealing with offending by young people". (AGS/2007/4).

6. Police call management: The Committee will consider a response from the Accountable Officer on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Police call management: an initial review" (AGS/2007/8).

7. Annual report: The Committee will consider a draft annual report for the Parliamentary year from 9 May 2007 to 8 May 2008.

8. Consideration of approach: The Committee will consider its approach to the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Managing increasing prisoner numbers in Scotland". (AGS/2008/5).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 May, it is expected that the Committee will receive further briefings from the Auditor General for Scotland including a briefing on two Section 22 Reports he has made on the 2006/07 audits of James Watt College and Kilmarnock College.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health and Sport Committee
14 May 2008
14th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Public Health etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Kathy Banks, Chief Executive, Sunbed Association;

Ron Culley, Policy Manager, COSLA;

Lene Priess, Director, Consol Suncenter plc; and

Alastair Shaw, Society of Chief Officers in Environmental Health Scotland.

2. Public Health etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 2).

3. Finance Committee’s review of the budget process (in private): The Committee will consider a consultation paper received from the Finance Committee.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 21 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider the Public Health etc (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 (Day 3).

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
14 May 2008
10th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Rural housing inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Dr Madhu Satsangi, University of Stirling;

Professor John Bryden, University of the Highlands and Islands;

and will decide which further witnesses to invite to give oral evidence and where to hold an external meeting in September.

2. Finance Committee inquiry on the budget process: The Committee will consider issues raised in the Finance Committee’s inquiry, and decide whether to consider a draft submission to the inquiry in private at its next meeting.

3. European Union issues: The Committee will consider a letter from the Convener of the European and External Relations Committee.

4. Annual report: The Committee will consider a draft annual report.

5. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Sea Fishing (Enforcement of Community Quota and Third Country Fishing Measures and Restriction on Days at Sea) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/151);

the Plant Health Fees (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/153);

the Smoke Control Areas (Authorised Fuels) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/154);

the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/155);

the Smoke Control Areas (Exempt Fireplaces) (Scotland) Order 2008 (SSI 2008/157);

the Rural Development Contracts (Land Managers Options) (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/159);

the Land Managers Skills Development Grants (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/162); and

the Bathing Waters (Scotland) Regulations 2008 (SSI 2008/170).

6. Rural housing inquiry (in private): The Committee will review the evidence heard earlier in the meeting.

7. Flooding and flood management inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider a final draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 May, the Committee will take oral evidence on rural housing. The Committee will continue to take evidence on its rural housing inquiry at subsequent meetings.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee
14 May 2008
14th Meeting, 2008

The Committee will meet at 11.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Elections 2007: The Committee will take evidence from Bruce Crawford MSP, Minister for Parliamentary Business, Gerald Byrne, Head of Constitution Unit and Andy Sinclair, Policy Officer, Constitutional and Parliamentary Secretariat, Scottish Government.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 21 May, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence from Nicola Sturgeon MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing on council housing, and to discuss the development of arrangements following the abolition of Communities Scotland, particularly the role of the housing regulator.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J