Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 136/2007: Monday 22 October 2007
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Justice Committee
23 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 8 and 9 in private. The Committee will also consider whether to take all future consideration of written evidence received and the main themes arising from evidence sessions on its inquiry into the effective use of police resources in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice, to move S3M-482—

Kenny MacAskill: The Draft Sheriff Courts (Scotland) Act 1971 (Privative Jurisdiction and Summary Cause) Order 2007 - That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Sheriff Courts (Scotland) Act 1971 (Privative Jurisdiction and Summary Cause) Order 2007 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice, to move S3M-479—

Kenny MacAskill: The Draft Small Claims (Scotland) Amendment Order 2007 - That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Small Claims (Scotland) Amendment Order 2007 be approved.

4. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice, to move S3M-481—

Kenny MacAskill: The Draft Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permits (Scotland) Regulations 2007 - That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permits (Scotland) Regulations 2007 be approved.

5. Subordinate legislation: Kenny MacAskill MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Justice, to move S3M-480—

Kenny MacAskill: The Draft Club Gaming and Club Machine Permits (Scotland) Regulations 2007 - That the Justice Committee recommends that the draft Club Gaming and Club Machine Permits (Scotland) Regulations 2007 be approved.

6. Effective use of police resources inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Pat Shearer, Chief Constable, Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary and ACPOS Vice President; Alastair Merrill, Deputy Director, Police Powers, Performance and Resources, Stephen Woodhouse, Head of Police Performance, Efficiency and Funding, Alastair Crerar, Project Manager, Police Performance, Barry Stalker, Principal Research Officer, Court Affairs, Prisons and Offenders Analytical Team, Scottish Government;

and then from—

Dr Daniel Donnelly, Scottish Centre for Police Studies and Dr Ken Scott, Head of the School of Social Studies, University of Paisley.

7. Effective use of police resources inquiry – witness expenses: The Committee will be invited to delegate to the Convener responsibility for arranging for the SPCB to pay, under Rule 12.4.3, any expenses of witnesses in the Committee’s consideration of the inquiry.

8. Effective use of police resources inquiry: The Committee will consider whether to accept written evidence received in response to the Committee’s call for evidence.

9. Effective use of police resources inquiry: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 October, it is expected that the Committee will continue taking evidence on its inquiry into the effective use of police resources. The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on its inquiry into the effective use of police resources at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Equal Opportunities Committee
23 October 2007
4th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Declaration of interests: Michael McMahon MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private and whether to consider items on possible inquiry topics in private at future meetings.

3. LGBT Hearts and Minds Agenda: The Committee will take evidence on the work of the LGBT Hearts and Minds Agenda Group from—

Tim Hopkins, Equality Network;

Fergus McMillan, LGBT Youth Scotland;

Hilary Third, Equality Unit, Scottish Government; and

Calum Irving, Stonewall Scotland.

4. Budget process 2008-09 (Stage 2): The Committee will consider candidates for budget adviser to assist in its scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s Budget.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 6 November, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence on the 2008-09 budget process. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
23 October 2007
5th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Budget process 2008-09 (Stage 2): The Committee will take evidence on the Report of the Budget Review Group from—

Bill Howat, Lead Reviewer, Bill Hughes, Member, Jenny Stewart, Member, and George Thorley, Member, Budget Review Group.

2. Smith Institute Seminars: The Convener will report back to the Committee on the seminar on Fair Tax.

3. Independent Funding Review of Free Personal Care: The Committee will consider correspondence received from the Independent Review Group.

4. Abolition of Bridge Tolls (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Abolition of Bridge Tolls (Scotland) Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider its work programme. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
23 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE1057 Research funding into endometriosis. Andrew Bilson-Page will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Jeni Mackay.

PE1065 Microsoft Government Leaders Forum Europe and promotion of technologies in enhancing democratic engagement. Rajiv Joshi will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Alison Hardie.

PE1046 Class size reductions in public schools

PE1047 Coastal and marine environmental protection process

PE1048 NPPG19 and pre-school children and children at play

PE1049 Maintenance of un-adopted open spaces

PE1050 Protection of common good sites

PE1077 Protection of conditions relating to gifts of land

PE1055 Ownership of electromagnetic broadcast spectrum and the spectrum packaging and award process.

PE1064 Replacement of the Forth Road Bridge

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE1005 The act of blessing oneself

PE1009 Provision of an Advocacy Service for third parties in planning matters

PE1010 Fast track system for alcohol exclusion zones and dispersal orders

PE1013 Review of arrangements for managing scheduled and listed buildings

PE1019 Health promotion campaign on the proper use of antibiotics

PE1020 Deceleration lane at the Portlethen South Bruntland Road junction from the A90

PE1021 Investigating cases of negligence or inadequate service against solicitors

PE1026 BBC television coverage of Scotland national football team matches

PE1027 Increased public funding for bus services

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on Tuesday 6 November, it is expected that the Committee will consider the following new petitions: PE1062, PE1080, PE1067, PE1068, PE1078, PE1079 PE1081, PE1082, and PE1083. The Committee also expects to further consider the following current petitions: PE765, PE795, PE886, PE920, PE922, PE1018, PE923, PE981, PE1004, PE1031 and PE1034. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change Committee
23 October 2007
7th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Abolition of Bridge Tolls (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft Stage 1 Report on the Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider a further draft Stage 1 Report on the Abolition of Bridge Tolls (Scotland) Bill in private.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
23 October 2007
8th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 2.15 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 7 in private.

2. Scottish Government responses: The Committee will consider the Scottish Government’s responses in relation to the following––

The Protection of Charities Assets (Exemption) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2007, (SSI 2007/draft);

The Natural Mineral Water, Spring Water and Bottled Drinking Water (Scotland) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/435); and

The Less Favoured Area Support Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/439).

3. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following––

The Licensing (Mandatory Conditions No.2) (Scotland) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/draft).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The The Committee will consider the following—

The Import and Export Restrictions (Foot-and-Mouth Disease) (Scotland) (No.4) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/460);

The Road Traffic (Permitted Parking Area and Special Parking Area) (City of Edinburgh) Designation Amendment Order 2007, (SSI 2007/446);

The Licensing (Procedure) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/453);

The Premises Licence (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/452);

The Licensing (Transitional and Saving Provisions) (Scotland) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/454);

The Community Care (Direct Payments) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/458); and

The Gambling Act 2005 (Fees No.4) (Scotland) Regulations 2007, (SSI 2007/461).

5. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following––

The Vulnerable Witnesses (Scotland) Act 2004 (Commencement No.6, Savings and Transitional Provisions) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/447);

Act of Sederunt (Sheriff Court Ordinary Cause, Summary Application, Summary Cause and Small Claim Rules) Amendment (Council Regulation (EC) No.1348 of 2000 Extension to Denmark) 2007 (SSI 2007/440);

Act of Sederunt (Rules of the Court of Session Amendment No.8) (Miscellaneous) 2007 (SSI 2007/449);

The Scottish Commission for Human Rights Act 2006 (Commencement No.1) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/448);

Act of Sederunt (Rules of the Court of Session Amendment No.9) (Vulnerable Witnesses (Scotland) Act 2004) 2007 (SSI 2007/450); and

The Foot-and-Mouth Disease (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Order 2007 (SSI 2007/455).

6. Scottish Government response on the implementation of EU related SSIs: The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Government to its letter of 6 September 2007.

7. Combining powers in SSIs: The Committee will consider a paper from its legal advisers.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on Tuesday 30 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider Scottish statutory instruments and any other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Economy, Energy and Tourism Committee
24 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Inquiry into the tourism industry: The Committee will consider a remit and terms of reference for its inquiry.

2. Inquiry into Scotland’s energy future: The Committee will consider a remit and terms of reference for its inquiry.

3. Commissioning of research: The Committee will discuss a paper from the clerk outlining proposals for the commissioning of research.

4. Legislative and policy developments in the European Union: The Committee will consider its approach to a range of legislative and policy matters within the EU.

Not before 11.00 a.m.

5. The role of the Council of Economic Advisors and its work programme: The Committee will take evidence, from—

Sir George Mathewson, Chair, the Council of Economic Advisers.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 7 November, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence from John Swinney MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth on reform of the enterprise network, and Fiona Hyslop MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning, on the Scottish Government’s skills strategy. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee
24 October 2007
7th Meeting, 2007

 

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 3

1. Decision on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 3 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the University of the West of Scotland Order of Council 2007 (SSI 2007/246).

3. Graduate Endowment Abolition (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Bill at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 7 November, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on the Graduate Endowment Abolition (Scotland) Bill; take evidence from the Chair of the Scottish Broadcasting Commission, Blair Jenkins; and consider subordinate legislation. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Communities Committee
24 October 2007
7th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Decisions on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 2, 3 and 4 in private.

2. Fuel poverty: The Committee will consider a draft letter from the Convener to Stuart Maxwell MSP, Minister for Communities and Sport, on the Central Heating Programme, the Warm Deal Scheme and other related grant schemes.

3. Budget Process 2008-09: The Committee will consider its approach to the budget process.

4. Budget Process 2008-09: The Committee will consider a list of candidates for the post of adviser.

Proposed future business

The Committee expects to take evidence on housing supply and to continue its consideration of the Budget process 2008-09 at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
24 October 2007
6th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Declaration of interests: Des McNulty MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Crown Estate: The Committee will take evidence on the Crown Estate Review Working Group report, The Crown Estate in Scotland: new opportunities for public benefits, from—

Ian Grant, Chairman and Scottish Commissioner, Rob Hastings, Director of the Marine Estate, and Alan Laidlaw, Head of the Scotland Office, the Crown Estate.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Less Favoured Area Support Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/439); and

the Import and Export Restrictions (Foot-and-Mouth Disease) (Scotland) (No. 4) Regulations 2007 (SSI 2007/460).

4. Budget adviser (in private): The Committee will consider a list of candidates for the post of budget adviser and decide an order of priority among them.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 7 November, the Committee will take evidence from RSPB Scotland, WWF Scotland and the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation in advance of the December European Fisheries Council. The Committee will also consider its approach to scrutiny of the Scottish Government budget for 2008-09. Further evidence on fisheries is planned for the Committee’s meetings on 21 November and 5 December.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Audit Committee
24 October 2007
5th Meeting, 2007

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 2

1. Declaration of interests: George Foulkes MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Decisions on taking business in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 7 in private.

3. Police call management: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on his report entitled "Police call management, an initial review" (AGS/2007/8).

4. Dealing with offending by young people: The Committee will consider a response from the Accountable Officer on the Auditor General for Scotland’s report entitled "Dealing with offending by young people" (AGS/2007/4).

5. Community planning: The Committee will consider a response from the Accountable Officer on the Audit Committee’s 2nd report 2007 entitled "Community planning: an initial review".

6. Independent funding review of free personal care: The Committee will consider a letter from Lord Sutherland regarding an independent funding review of the free personal care policy.

7. Consideration of approach: The Committee will consider its approach to the AGS reports entitled "Police call management, an initial review" (AGS/2007/8) and the "Edinburgh transport projects review" (AGS/2007/2).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 7 November, it is expected that the Committee will consider further briefings from the Auditor General for Scotland and various correspondence from accountable officers.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J