Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 139/2006: Monday 2 October 2006
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Equal Opportunities Committee
3 October 2006
18th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 2

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Budget process 2007-08: The Committee will take evidence, in a round-table discussion, from—

Professor Arthur Midwinter, Budget Adviser to the Finance Committee;

Ali Jarvis, Commission for Racial Equality;

Adam Gaines, Disability Rights Commission;

Tim Hopkins, Equality Network;

Rona Fitzgerald and Ailsa McKay, Equality Proofing Budget and Policy Advisory Group;

Philippa Bonella, Equal Opportunities Commission; and

Angela O’Hagan, Scottish Women’s Budget Group.

3. Equalities review: The Committee will consider an approach paper.

4. 2007 - European Year of Equal Opportunities for All: The Committee will consider an approach paper.

5. Commissioner for Older People (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider an approach paper.

6. Disability inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 31 October, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on the 2007-2008 budget process and on its Equalities Review. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Sub-Committee
3 October 2006
3rd Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Child-Sex Offenders Inquiry: The Sub-Committee will take evidence on its inquiry from—

Ms Margaret Ann Cummings and Paul Martin MSP

and then from—

Ian Todd, Acting Director, Scottish Criminal Records Office

Simon Kinghorn, Head of Criminal Justice Information Bureau, Scottish Criminal Records Office

Andrew Morrell, Acting Deputy Disclosure Bureau Manager, Disclosure Scotland

and then from—

Professor Roisin Hall, Chief Executive, Risk Management Authority

Morag Slessor, Board Member, Risk Management Authority

Yvonne Gailey, Director of Operations and Development, Risk Management Authority

Jackie Bergen, Director of Business Performance, Risk Management Authority

Professor George Irving

and then from—

Donald Dickie, Criminal Justice Advisor, Safeguarding Communities – Reducing Offending

2. Child-Sex Offenders Inquiry (in private): The Sub-Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session on the inquiry, in order to inform the drafting of its report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 31 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider its approach to its Child-Sex Offender inquiry and its work programme.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on its Child-Sex Offender inquiry subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
3 October 2006
24th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Items in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider agenda items 5 and 6 in private.

2. Cost of the local authority single status agreement: The Committee will consider a response from Unison to its report on the cost of the local authority single status agreement and correspondence from the Equal Opportunities Commission.

3. Cross-cutting expenditure review of deprivation: The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive to its report on its cross-cutting expenditure review of deprivation.

Not before 11 am:

4. Budget process 2007-08: The Committee will take evidence from—

Angela O’Hagan, Convener, Scottish Women’s Budget Group; Dr Ailsa McKay, Caledonian Business School; and Rona Fitzgerald, visiting professor, Caledonian Business School.

5. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

6. Commissioned research on the impact of the Scottish Budget on the Scottish Economy: The Committee will consider arrangements for the publication of its commissioned research.

7. Aquaculture and Fisheries (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Aquaculture and Fisheries (Scotland) Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on financial memoranda.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on the Budget Process 2007-08 and financial memoranda at future meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
3 October 2006
27th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 8 in private.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider a response from the Executive to points raised on the following bill—

Schools (Health Promotion and Nutrition) (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

3. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Commissioner for Older People (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

4. Executive responses: The Committee will consider further the following Executive responses—

the Local Governance (Scotland) Act 2004 (Severance Payments) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/471).

5. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Plant Health (Scotland) Amendment Order 2006, (SSI 2006/474).

6. Orders subject to Special Parliamentary Procedure: The Committee will consider the following—

the East Dunbartonshire Council (Lenzie Moss, Lenzie) Compulsory Purchase Order No. 1 2002, (SE 2006/162).

7. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Tobacco Advertising and Promotion Act 2002 (Commencement No. 10) (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/473).

8. Inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland (in private): The Committee will consider further written evidence received in relation to its draft report and its programme for oral evidence.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence in relation to its inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland. The Committee will also consider Scottish statutory instruments and other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Glasgow Airport Rail Link Bill Committee
3 October 2006
11th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Oral evidence: The Committee will take evidence on issues outstanding from its Preliminary Stage report from—

Tavish Scott MSP, Minister for Transport;

Ian Mylroi, Head of Rail Projects, Transport Scotland;

Damian Sharp, Head of Major Projects, Transport Scotland; and

Dr Janet Egdall, Team Leader, Strategy and Investment, Transport Scotland.

2. Oral evidence: The Committee will take evidence on any issues arising in relation to agenda item 1 from—

John Halliday, Assistant Chief Executive, Transport and Strategy, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport;

Charles Hoskins, Director, Major Projects, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport;

Paul Irving, Partner, John Kennedy & Co;

Neil Halket, Associate Director, Faber Maunsell;

Dani Fiumicelli, Technical Director, Environmental Noise and Vibration, Faber Maunsell; and

Brian Cuthbert, Principal Consultant, Faber Maunsell.

3. Consideration stage report (in private): The Committee will consider its approach to its draft phase one Consideration Stage report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider its draft phase one Consideration Stage report.

The Committee expects to consider the Bill at phase two of Consideration Stage at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Procedures Committee
3 October 2006
15th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Members’ interests (Parliamentary determinations and resolutions): The Committee will take evidence from—

Brian Adam MSP, Convener of the Standards and Public Appointments Committee, and Sarah Robertson, Senior Assistant Clerk,

and decide whether to consider a draft report in private at future meetings.

2. Subordinate Legislation Committee - 20 day rule: The Committee will consider whether to recommend a change to Rule 10.3.2 as proposed by the Subordinate Legislation Committee and, if so, decide whether to consider a draft report in private at future meetings.

3. Public Bills and substitution (in private): The Committee will consider a revised draft report and standing order changes.

4. Transport and Works (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report to the lead committee.

Proposed future business

At its meeting on 31 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider responses from members to its Consultation Report on Parliamentary Time. The Committee will also consider correspondence received from the Conveners’ Group in relation to Rule 12.9, on committee annual reports, and a draft report on Consolidation Bills. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Enterprise and Culture Committee
3 October 2006
23rd Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Budget process 2007-08 (Stage 2): The Committee will consider its approach to the scrutiny of the Scottish Executive’s budget for 2007-08.

2. Budget process 2007-08 (Stage 2): The Committee will take evidence from—

John Graham, Chief Executive, and Laura Petrie, Director of Finance, Historic Scotland;

Martyn Wade, National Librarian, and David Hunter, Strategic Policy Manager, National Library of Scotland.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

The Designation of Institutions of Higher Education (Scotland) Amendment Order 2006, (SSI 2006/398)

The Academic Awards and Distinctions (The Robert Gordon University) (Scotland) Order of Council 2006, (SSI 2006/452)

The Robert Gordon University (Transfer and Closure) (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/461).

4. Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 6).

5. Proposed bill to establish a national register of tartans: The Committee will consider its approach to the bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will continue to consider the Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 and take further oral evidence as part of the scrutiny of the Executive’s 2007-08 budget. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee
3 October 2006
21st Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Item in private: The Committee will discuss whether to take item 6 in private.

2. Scottish Mental Health Budget 2007-08: The Committee will take evidence in the form of a roundtable discussion from—

Peter Williamson, Director of Health Strategy, NHS Tayside;

Anne Hawkins, Interim Director Mental Health Partnership, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde;

Derek Lindsay, Director of Finance, NHS Ayrshire and Arran;

Dr Donald Lyons, Director, Mental Welfare Commission;

Christina Naismith, Association of Directors of Social Work;

Allyson McCollum, Chief Executive, Scottish Development Centre for Mental Health;

Shona Neil, Chief Executive, Scottish Association for Mental Health;

David Christie, Chairman – Edinburgh and the Lothians Branch, the Samaritans;

Dr Seán Boyle, Committee Adviser; and

Geoff Huggins, Head of Mental Health Division, Scottish Executive Health Department.

3. Scottish Mental Health Budget 2007-08: The Committee will take evidence from—

Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care.

4. Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care.

5. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the National Health Service (Travelling Expenses and Remission of Charges) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 3) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/440); and

the Food (Emergency Control) (Scotland) Revocation Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/459).

6. Scottish Mental Health Budget 2007-08: The Committee will discuss the evidence heard today.

7. Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will discuss the evidence heard today.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, the Committee will begin taking Stage 1 evidence on the Health Board Elections (Scotland) Bill and will hear from the Minister for Health on the draft Scottish Budget 2007-08. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee
3 October 2006
35th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider the possible contents of its report on its inquiry into the Scottish Criminal Record Office.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 4 October, it is expected that the Committee will begin Stage 2 consideration of the Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue Stage 2 consideration of the Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee
3 October 2006
25th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 4 and 5 in private.

2. Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 2).

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers (Prescription of Offices, Ranks and Positions) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2006, (SSI 2006/466).

4. Proposed Custodial Sentences and Weapons (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Bill.

5. Christmas Day and New Year’s Day Trading (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will continue to consider Stage 2 amendments to the Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill; and will receive a briefing from officials on the Custodial Sentences and Weapons (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee
3 October 2006
24th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Transport and Works (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1 from—

Tavish Scott MSP, Minister for Transport, Frazer Henderson, Head of Bill Team, Andrew Brown, Solicitor OSSE, Catherine Wilson, Solicitor OSSE and Damian Sharp, Head of Major Projects, Transport Scotland

3. Prostitution (Public Places) (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1 from—

Alison Douglas, Head of Corporate Killing and Prostitution Team and Patrick Down, Corporate Killing and Prostitution Team

and then from—

Margo MacDonald MSP

4. Transport and Works (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the possible contents of its Stage 1 report on the Transport and Works (Scotland) Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take evidence on the Prostitution (Public Places) (Scotland) Bill. The Committee will also consider the contents of its report for Stage 1 of the Transport and Works (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on the Prostitution (Public Places) (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee
4 October 2006
26th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 4 in private.

2. Planning etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 6).

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Race Relations Act 1976 (Statutory Duties) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2006, (SSI 2006/467).

4. Budget process 2007-08: The Committee will consider its approach to the budget process 2007-2008.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the Schools (Health Promotion and Nutrition) (Scotland) Bill and the Budget process 2007-08. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee
4 October 2006
28th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Aquaculture and Fisheries (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Andrew Grant, Independent Veterinary Consultant, Fish Veterinary Society; and

Professor Sheila Crispin, President, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons;

and then from—

Andy Rosie, Area Manager for Highlands, Islands and Argyll and Bute, Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA);

Ian Pritchard, Head of Scottish Marine Estate, the Crown Estate; and

Dr Ron Stagg, Deputy Chief Executive, Fisheries Research Service;

and then from—

George Hamilton, Natural Resources Manager, the Highland Council;

Peter Middleton, Fisheries and Marine Resources Officer, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar; and

Audrey Martin, Senior Planning/Development Officer, Argyll and Bute Council;

and then from—

Doug MacLeod, Chairman, Association of Scottish Shellfish Growers;

Sid Patten, Chief Executive, Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation;

Richard Slaski, Executive Director, Federation of Scottish Aquaculture Producers; and

Angus MacMillan, West Minch Salmon Ltd, organic salmon producer.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Water Services and Sewerage Services Licences (Scotland) Order 2006 (SSI 2006/464); and

the Environmental Noise (Scotland) Regulations 2006 (SSI 2006/465).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, the Committee will continue to take evidence on the Aquaculture and Fisheries (Scotland) Bill, and will take evidence from SEPA in connection with the Executive’s environment and rural development affairs Draft Budget for 2007-08.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on the Aquaculture and Fisheries (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings on 1 and 8 November. On 1 November, the Committee will also take evidence from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development on the Draft Budget for 2007-08. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee
4 October 2006
20th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 5

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will take evidence on the draft Social Work Inspections (Scotland) Regulations 2006 from—

Robert Brown MSP, Deputy Minister for Education and Young People

Bill Ellis, Social Work Services Policy Division, Scottish Executive.

2. Subordinate legislation: Robert Brown MSP, Deputy Minister for Education and Young People, to move S2M-4886—

Peter Peacock: The Draft Social Work Inspections (Scotland) Regulations 2006—That the Education Committee recommends that the draft Social Work Inspections (Scotland) Regulations 2006 be approved.

3. Adoption and Children (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1)

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on the 2007-2008 budget from the Minister for Education and Young People and from COSLA and consider a draft report on the Draft National Gaelic Language Plan.

The Committee expects to continue to consider the Adoption and Children (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee
4 October 2006
36th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 1

1. Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 October, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the Scottish Criminal Record Office.

The Committee expects to continue to consider the Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 at future meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
4 October 2006
16th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE985 Palestine – elections, sanctions and spokesperson. Sofiah MacLeod, Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign, will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of the petition.

PE999 Review of the school clothing grant system. Jim Milne, Dundee Anti-Poverty Forum, will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition accompanied by Caroline Morrison.

PE983 To ban the use of microchip implants on young people in Scotland.

PE984 Complaints regarding vigorous growing trees, hedges, shrubs, vines or other plants.

PE982 Proposed ship to ship transfer of oil in the Forth Estuary.

PE993 Statutory requirement to provide religious observance in Scottish schools.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE863 Solicitors (Scotland) Act 1980. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE930 Scottish Public Service Ombudsman’s Act. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman, Audit Scotland, Unison and the Scottish Executive.

PE932 Supporting People Funding. The Committee will consider responses from Shelter, Consumer Care Providers Scotland, Scottish Federation of Housing Associations, the Care Commission, COSLA and the Scottish Executive.

PE934 Traffic Orders (Procedure) (Scotland) Regulations 1999. The Committee will consider responses from Glasgow City Council and the Scottish Executive.

PE825 Provision of school lockers. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE936 Siting of oil depots. The Committee will consider responses from United Kingdom Petroleum Industry Association Limited, Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Health Protection Scotland, Health & Safety Executive, COSLA and the Scottish Executive.

PE938 Public Consultation - health services. The Committee will consider responses from the Consumer Council, Citizens Advice Scotland, the Scottish Health Council and the Scottish Executive.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 October at All Saints Secondary School, Ryehill Road, Springburn, Glasgow, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on the health implications of the availability of cheap alcohol; the preparedness of schools to deal with nuclear accidents; the number of drug related deaths in Scotland, a national framework of support for carers of children and prescribing arrangements for mesothelioma sufferers. The Committee also expects to further consider current petitions on institutional child abuse; a national play strategy and parental consultation over school closures.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J