Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 104/2006: Friday 23 June 2006
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Justice 1 Committee
26 June 2006
26th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

John MacLeod, Independent Fingerprint Expert, BSB Forensic (Ltd)

and then from

Mike Thompson, Head of National Fingerprint Training, Centrex NTC

Not before 2 pm.

3. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry: The Committee will then take evidence in round table format from—

Peter Swann, Fingerprint Consultant;

Malcolm Graham, Independent Fingerprint Expert;

John Berry, Retired Fingerprint Technician; and

Robert Mackenzie, Deputy Head of Bureau, Alan Dunbar, Quality Assurance Officer, Terry Foley, Senior Fingerprint Officer, and Alister Geddes, Fingerprint Officer, Scottish Criminal Record Office.

4. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry: The Committee will consider whether to accept written evidence received after the deadline for submission of written evidence.

5. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence sessions to date on the inquiry, in order to inform the drafting of its report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report on the Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue consideration of its inquiry into the Scottish Criminal Record Office at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
26 June 2006
12th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 6.00 pm in Jedburgh Town Hall, Abbey Place, Jedburgh.

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE973 Funding for Citizens Advice Bureaux. Aileen Orr will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition.

PE974 Review of the operation of the Accountant in Bankruptcy. Jesse Rae will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition.

PE972 The role of rural and community hospitals. Rev James B Watson will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of his petition.

PE953 To increase awareness of and promote diagnosis and treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Jean Gall will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Colin Tyler and Professor Neil J Douglas.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE849 To establish a Sports Academy in the Borders. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioners.

PE850 Re-negotiation of NUTS2 boundaries with the European Commission. The Committee will consider the progress of this petition.

PE868 Right to buy land or premises for member-based sports clubs. The Committee will consider a response from COSLA.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 June, the Committee will further consider current petitions on the continuation of Borderline Theatre Company and preventing the closure of the 7:84 Theatre Company.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Audit Committee
27 June 2006
11th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 5

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 7 and 8 in private.

2. Review of Community Planning Partnerships: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on his report entitled: "Community Planning: an initial review" (AGS/2006/7).

3. Public Sector Pensions: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on his report entitled "Public sector pension schemes in Scotland" (AGS/2006/8).

4. Audit Scotland Annual Report 2005/06: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on the Audit Scotland Annual Report 2005/06.

5. Audit Scotland Forward Work Programme: The Committee will consider Audit Scotland’s forward work programme.

6. Scottish Executive Progress Report on Committee Recommendations: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk on the Scottish Executive’s progress report on Committee report recommendations.

7. Consideration of Approach: The Committee will consider its approach to the AGS reports entitled "Community Planning: an initial review" (AGS/2006/7) and "Public sector pension schemes in Scotland" (AGS/2006/8).

8. Section 22 Report on Inverness College: The Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the Section 22 report by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled "The 2004/05 Audit of Inverness College".

Proposed future business

At a future meeting after summer recess, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence on its inquires into the AGS reports on the NHS consultant contract and the teaching profession.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
27 June 2006
19th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Accountability and Governance inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform; Colin McKay, Head of Public Service Reform Development Division, Scottish Executive; and David Robb, Head of Public Bodies and Relocation Division, Scottish Executive;

and then from—

John Scott MSP, Member of the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body; Paul Grice, Chief Executive, Scottish Parliament; and Huw Williams, Head of Corporate Policy, Scottish Parliament.

2. Budget Process 2007-08: The Committee will consider an approach paper from the Clerk.

3. Financial Memoranda: The Committee will consider its approach to the financial memoranda for forthcoming bills.

4. Items in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider its draft report on its Accountability and Governance inquiry in private at subsequent meetings. The Committee will also decide whether to consider its draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill in private at its next meeting.

5. Accountability and Governance inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider the themes arising from evidence sessions on its inquiry in order to inform the drafting of its report.

Proposed future business

The Committee’s next meeting will be on 5 September, following the summer recess. It is expected that the Committee will consider its draft report on its Accountability and Governance inquiry and its draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill at this meeting.

The Committee will take evidence on various financial memoranda at subsequent meetings after the summer recess. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Edinburgh Airport Rail Link Bill Committee
27 June 2006
6th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 1

1. Oral Evidence on the adequacy of the accompanying documents: The Committee will take evidence from––

Panel 1

Erica Knott, Casework Support Officer and Carolyn Clark, Area Officer, Scottish Natural Heritage.

Panel 2

Rod Graves and Paul Douglas, Ratho and District Community Council,

Charles Brunton, William Bryant and Steve Chalmers, householders, and

Douglas G Smart, householder.

Panel 3

Damian Sharp, Head of Major Projects and Ian Mylroi, Head of Rail Projects, Transport Scotland.

Panel 4

Tavish Scott MSP, Minister for Transport and Telecommunications, and

Damian Sharp, Head of Major Projects, Rail Delivery and Ian Mylroi, Head of Rail Projects, Transport Scotland.

2. Edinburgh Airport Rail Link Bill (in private): The Committee will consider the oral evidence taken at agenda item 1.

3. Oral evidence on the adequacy of the accompanying documents: The Committee will take evidence from––

Panel 5

Promoter’s witnesses––

Alison Gorlov, Parliamentary Agent, John Kennedy & Co,

Susan Clark, Project Director, tie Ltd,

Gail Jeffrey, Senior Project Manager, Scott Wilson Railways,

Russell Bartlett, Senior Research Executive, Progressive Partnership,

Gordon Robertson, Account Director, Media House,

Paul McCartney, Associate Economist, Halcrow,

Marwan AL-Azzawi, Principal Transport Planner, Scott Wilson Railways,

Steve Purnell, Partner, ERM,

Aileen McLuckie, Environmental Project Manager, ERM,

Nick Crowther, Land Referencing Project Director, Landaspects,

Tony Rose, Assistant Director, Pricewaterhouse Coopers,

Roger May, Underground Engineering Manager, Scott Wilson Railways,

John Inman, Strategy Manager (Planning), City of Edinburgh Council,

Pat Diamond, Project Finance Manager, tie ltd, and

Fiona Stephen, Partner, Anderson Strathern.

4. Appointment of an assessor: The Committee will consider whether to direct the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body, subject to the Bill proceeding to Consideration Stage, to appoint an assessor to consider and report to the Committee at Consideration Stage.

5. Preliminary consideration of objections (in private): The Committee will consider a paper on preliminary consideration of objections.

6. Draft Preliminary Stage report (in private): The Committee will consider a paper on Preliminary Stage issues and discuss key issues for the draft Preliminary Stage report.

Proposed future business

The Committee will continue to consider the Bill at Preliminary Stage.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
27 June 2006
22nd Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider a response from Bill Butler MSP to points raised on the following bill—

Health Board Elections (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

3. Executive responses: The Committee will consider a response from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/325);

the Firefighters’ Pension Scheme Amendment (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/342);

the Adults with Incapacity (Removal of Regenerative Tissue for Transplantation) (Form of Certificate) (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/343); and

the Avian Influenza and Influenza of Avian Origin in Mammals (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/336).

4. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 (Consequential Modifications and Savings) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/draft); and

the Fundable Bodies (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/draft).

5. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the East Lothian (Electoral Arrangements) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/359).

6. Procedures Committee Inquiry into Consolidation Bill procedure: The Committee will consider a letter from the Convener of the Procedures Committee.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 5 September, the Committee will consider Scottish statutory instruments and other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee
27 June 2006
19th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Petition PE862: The Committee will consider the proposed arrangements for the establishment, duration, remit and membership of a sub-committee to examine the issues arising from this petition and whether to conclude formal consideration of the petition as a result of the establishment of this Committee.

2. Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

The Committee expects to take evidence on its Christmas Day and New Year’s Day Trading (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings after the summer recess.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee
27 June 2006
19th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 3 and 4 in private.

2. Proposed Local Government Elections (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a statement of reasons for not consulting on the draft proposal and will take evidence from—

David Davidson MSP.

3. Proposed Transport and Works (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to this proposed bill.

4. Freight transport inquiry: The Committee will consider a draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 5 September, it is expected that the Committee will begin consideration of any transport legislation which has been referred to it by the Parliamentary Bureau.

The Committee expects to take evidence on issues arising from petitions on home safety officers and common good funds at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
28 June 2006
13th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions

PE959 To ensure the continuation of Borderline Theatre Company’s innovative touring and lifelong learning programme.

PE970 To prevent the closure of 7:84 Theatre Company.

The Committee will take evidence from Jim Tough, Deputy Chief Executive, Scottish Arts Council.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 6 September 2006, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on proposals for the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route, the use of jet skis in the vicinity of public beaches, review of the Building Procedures (Scotland) Regulations 2004, neuropsychological provision within NHS Scotland, treatment of violent and abusive patients, amendment of the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Acts 1973 and 1984. The Committee is also expected to further consider current petitions on the Dalkeith Bypass, the upgrade of the A77, a national policy on the teaching of singing, market led urban regeneration projects, potential health hazards from high voltage transmission lines, provision of NHS dentistry and amendment of Scots criminal law in relation to sex offences.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Airdrie-Bathgate Railway and Linked Improvements Bill Committee
28 June 2006
1st Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 1.30 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Declaration of interests: Members will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Choice of Convener: The Committee will choose a Convener.

3. Choice of Deputy Convener: The Committee will choose a Deputy Convener.

4. Items in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 5 in private.

5. Preliminary Stage: The Committee will consider a paper on its approach to Preliminary Stage.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting it is expected that the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill.

The Committee expects to take evidence on the Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J