Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 94/2006: Friday 9 June 2006
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Edinburgh Airport Rail Link Bill Committee
13 June 2006
4th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Oral Evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will take evidence from––

Panel 1

Neil Renilson, Chief Executive, and Bill Campbell, Operations Director, Transport Edinburgh;

Andrew Mellors, Deputy Managing Director and Steve Montgomery, Operations and Safety Director, First ScotRail.

Panel 2

Graeme Malcolm, Transportation Manager and Wendy McCorriston, Planning Officer, West Lothian Council;

Keith Rimmer, Head of Transport, City Development Department, The City of Edinburgh Council.

Panel 3

Peter Spinney, Scottish Chairman and Bruce Young, Lothian Co-ordinator, Association of British Drivers.

Panel 4

Tom Hart, Vice President, Scottish Association for Public Transport (SAPT);

Colin Howden, Director and David Spaven, Chair, TRANSform Scotland.

Panel 5

John David Ede, Householder

2. Edinburgh Airport Rail Link Bill (in private): The Committee will consider the oral evidence taken at agenda item 1.

3. Oral evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will take evidence from––

Panel 6

Promoter witnesses––

Susan Clark, Project Director, tie Ltd

Paul McCartney, Associate Economist, Halcrow

Trond Haugen, Transportation Manager, Fife Council and Chair of SESTRAN Rail Group

John Inman, Strategy Manager (Planning), City of Edinburgh Council

Marwan AL-Azzawi, Principal Transport Planner, Scott Wilson Railways

Gary Coutts, Railway Engineering Manager, Scott Wilson Railways

Alan Somerville, Commercial Manager (Heavy Rail), tie Ltd.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting the Committee will continue to take oral evidence at Preliminary Stage.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
13 June 2006
17th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Financial Memorandum from—

Val de Souza, Group Manager, Planning and Services Division, West Lothian Community Health and Care Partnership, COSLA; and Alan McKeown, Team Leader, Health and Social Care, COSLA.

2. Accountability and Governance inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

John Elvidge, Permanent Secretary, Scottish Executive; and Ruth Parsons, Head of Scottish Executive Public Service Reform Group.

3. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider a paper from its budget adviser on the review of Scottish Executive management of public finances in private at its next meeting. The Committee will also decide whether to consider themes arising from its Accountability and Governance inquiry in private at its meeting on 27 June.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20 June, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence from the Deputy Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform on the Scottish Executive’s relocation policy, and from Scottish Executive officials on the Financial Memorandum of the Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill. The Committee will also consider a paper from the budget adviser on the review of Scottish Executive management of public finances, and consider updated Efficient Government technical notes.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on its Accountability and Governance inquiry at its meeting on 27 June and on various Financial Memoranda at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Audit Committee
13 June 2006
10th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 2 and 3 in private.

2. Section 22 Report on Inverness College: The Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the section 22 report by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled "The 2004/05 Audit of Inverness College".

3. Council Housing Transfers: The Committee will consider its approach to the AGS report entitled "Council Housing Transfers" (AGS/2006/5).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 27 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on Inverness College.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
13 June 2006
20th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Executive response: The Committee will consider further the following—

the Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Act 2005 (Supplementary Provisions) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/draft);

and take evidence from the following Scottish Executive officials—

Patrick Layden, Group Head, Office of the Solicitor to the Scottish Executive;

Gordon McNicoll, Divisional Solicitor, Office of the Solicitor to the Scottish Executive; and

Sheila Tait, Branch Head, Community Justice Services Division, Scottish Executive Justice Department.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Local Electoral Administration and Registration Services (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2.

3. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006 (Consequential Modifications) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/draft).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Robert Gordon University (Scotland) Order of Council 2006, (SSI 2006/298);

the Contaminants in Food (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/306);

the National Health Service (Superannuation Scheme and Additional Voluntary Contributions) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/307);

the Teachers’ Superannuation (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/308);

the Human Tissue (Specification of Posts) (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/309);

the Approval of Research on Organs No Longer Required for Procurator Fiscal Purposes (Specified Persons) (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/310)

the Common Agricultural Policy (Wine) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/311);

the Pesticides (Maximum Residue Levels in Crops, Food and Feeding Stuffs) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/312);

the Seed (Registration, Licensing and Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/313);

the Plastic Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/314);

the Home Detention Curfew Licence (Prescribed Standard Conditions) (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/315);

the Education (Student Loans) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/316);

the Plant Health (Potatoes) (Scotland) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/319);

the National Health Service (Pharmaceutical Services) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 3) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/320);

the National Health Service (General Dental Services) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/321);

the Education (Graduate Endowment, Student Fees and Support) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/323);

the National Health Service (General Ophthalmic Services) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/329);

the National Health Service (Discipline Committees) (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/330);

the Education (Student Loans for Tuition Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/333);

the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/335); and

the General Dental Council (Professions Complementary to Dentistry) Regulations Order of Council 2006, (SI 2006/1440).

5. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

Act of Adjournal (Criminal Procedure Rules Amendment No. 3) (Risk Assessment Orders and Orders for Lifelong Restriction) 2006, (SSI 2006/302).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20 June, the Committee will consider Scottish statutory instruments and other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Enterprise and Culture Committee
13 June 2006
17th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Convener to move S2M-4481—

That the Enterprise and Culture Committee considers the Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 in the following order: Part 2, Part 14, Part 1, Parts 3 to 13, Parts 15 to 16; and that each schedule is considered immediately after the section that introduces it.

2. Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider Part 2 of the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider the Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2, a draft report on budgeting and restructuring at Scottish Enterprise and three Scottish statutory instruments under the negative procedure. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee
13 June 2006
17th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Petition PE862: The Committee will consider a petition by Margaret Ann Cummings calling for the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to conduct a full review of the current system for dealing with and monitoring convicted child sex offenders.

2. Subordinate legislation: Cathy Jamieson MSP (Minister for Justice) to move the following motions—

S2M-4473 That the Justice 2 Committee recommends that the draft International Criminal Court (Immunities and Privileges) (No. 2) Order 2006 be approved.

S2M-4474 That the Justice 2 Committee recommends that the draft International Criminal Court (Immunities and Privileges) (No. 1) Order 2006 be approved.

3. Justice and home affairs in Europe: The Committee will take evidence on justice and home affairs issues in Europe from Cathy Jamieson MSP, Minister for Justice.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Scotland Act 1998 (Agency Arrangements) (Specification) Order 2006, (SI 2006/1251)

5. Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 20 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider further a draft Stage 1 report on the Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee
13 June 2006
17th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Petition PE 758: The Committee will take evidence on the issue of home safety officers from—

Laura McDermott, Home Safety Projects Officer, Dundee City Council; and

Bob Sutherland, Community Safety Manager, Angus Council.

2. Subordinate legislation: George Lyon MSP (Deputy Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform) to move motion S2M-4425—

S2M-4425 Mr Tom McCabe: The Draft Electronic Communications (Scotland) Order 2006—That the Local Government and Transport Committee recommends that the draft Electronic Communications (Scotland) Order 2006 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: Tavish Scott MSP (Minister for Transport) to move motion S2M-4424—

S2M-4424 Mr Tom McCabe: The Draft Public Appointments and Public Bodies etc. (Scotland) Act 2003 (Treatment of Public Transport Users’ Committee for Scotland as Specified Authority and Amendment of Specified Authorities) Order 2006—That the Local Government and Transport Committee recommends that the draft Public Appointments and Public Bodies etc. (Scotland) Act 2003 (Treatment of Public Transport Users’ Committee for Scotland as Specified Authority and Amendment of Specified Authorities) Order 2006 be approved.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

The Public Transport Users’ Committee for Scotland Order 2006, (SSI 2006/250)

5. Petitions PE 875, PE 896 and PE 961: The Committee will consider an approach paper on three petitions on the issue of common good assets.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting it is expected that the Committee will consider the contents of its report on its freight transport inquiry. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
14 June 2006
11th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE968 To increase the number of police officers on the beat. Nicola Hardie will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Rachel Fraser.

PE967 An inquiry into excessive car parking charges at NHS hospitals, such as the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Louise MacLeod will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of her petition accompanied by Tom Waterston, UNISON and Susan Lloyd, Royal College of Nursing.

PE965 To ensure sufficient funding and resources are in place to combat Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Sarah Fidelo, Eileen Fidelo and Yvonne Widd will make a brief statement to the Committee in support of this petition.

PE969 The development and installation of micropower renewable energy technology in business and domestic premises.

PE970 To prevent the closure of 7:84 Theatre Company.

PE971 To review the implementation of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 to ensure that local authority landlords are in compliance with the Act.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE837 Small scale energy generation. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE808 Mental health services for the deaf and deaf/blind. The Committee will consider responses from the petitioner, the Cross Party Group on Mental Health in the Scottish Parliament and the Royal College of Psychiatrists.

PE910 Study of Scottish history. The Committee will consider responses from HM Inspectorate of Education; Learning and Teaching Scotland; Bord na Gaidhlig; EIS; Universities Scotland; Scottish Funding Council; the Minister for Education and Young People and the Minister for Tourism, Culture, and Sport.

PE908 & PE909 Traffic regulation orders. The Committee will consider responses from the Disabled Drivers Association; Disability Rights Commission; Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland; COSLA; Association of Chief Police Officers; the AA and the Scottish Executive.

PE831 Review of Scottish Executive policy on Public libraries.

PE832 To debate the use of Public Private Partnership funding to build new schools. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE798 Provision of wheelchairs and specialist seating services. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE929 European Drinking Water Directive. The Committee will consider responses from the Drinking Water Quality Regulator for Scotland; Scottish Water; Scottish Environment Protection Agency; Friends of the Earth and the Scottish Executive.

3. Proposed Petition: The Committee will consider the admissibility of a proposed petition.

Proposed future business

The Committee will hold its next meeting on 26 June 2006 in Jedburgh Town Hall, Jedburgh, and is expected to consider new petitions on sustaining rural community hospitals, diagnosis and treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and funding for Citizens Advice Bureaux. The Committee is also expected to give further consideration to current petitions on the establishment of a Sports Academy in the Borders, re-negotiation of NUTS 2 boundaries with the European Commission and the right to buy land or premises for member-based sports clubs.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J