Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No. 81/2006: Friday 19 May 2006
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Glasgow Airport Rail Link Bill Committee
22 May 2006
6th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Renfrewshire Council Chambers, Cotton Street, Paisley

1. Oral evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Roddy Fairley, Manager, Strathclyde and Ayrshire Area, Scottish Natural Heritage;

Dave Batty, Casework Support Officer, West Areas, Scottish Natural Heritage;

Christopher Connor, Local Air Quality Specialist, Scottish Environment Protection Agency;

June Dawson, Senior Planning Officer, Scottish Environment Protection Agency;

Panel 2

Don Marshall, Chair, Strathclyders Against Detrimental Development;

Gordon Craig, Member, Strathclyders Against Detrimental Development;

Archie Anderson, Chairperson, Paisley North Community Council;

Mae Marshall, Secretary, Paisley North Community Council;

Alan Hopkirk;

Panel 3

Don Marshall, Chair, Strathclyders Against Detrimental Development;

Gordon Craig, Member, Strathclyders Against Detrimental Development;

Archie Anderson, Chairperson, Paisley North Community Council;

Mae Marshall, Secretary, Paisley North Community Council;

Alan Hopkirk;

Mary Gildea;

Archie Berry;

Not before 2.00 pm

Panel 4

Tavish Scott MSP, Minister for Transport and Telecommunications;

Bill Reeve, Director, Rail Delivery, Transport Scotland;

Damian Sharp, Head of Major Projects, Rail Delivery, Transport Scotland;

Panel 5

Douglas Ferguson, Director of Operations, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport;

John Halliday, Head of Transport Planning and Integration, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport;

Charles Hoskins, Manager, Projects, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport;

Paul Irving, Partner, John Kennedy and Co;

Simon Temple, Director, Faber Maunsell;

Brian Cuthbert, Principal Consultant, Faber Maunsell;

Ashley Parry Jones, Business Development Manager, LandAspects.

2. Appointment of an assessor: The Committee will consider whether to direct the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body, subject to the Bill proceeding to Consideration Stage, to appoint an assessor to consider and report to the Committee at Consideration Stage.

3. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider its draft Preliminary Stage report in private at future Committee meetings.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider its draft Preliminary Stage report.

Equal Opportunities Committee
23 May 2006
12th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Disability inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Margaret Orr, Association of Directors of Education in Scotland;

Alex Davidson, Association of Directors of Social Work in Scotland;

Jon Harris, COSLA;

Michael Evans, Society of Directors of Personnel in Scotland;

Rodney Stone, The Voice of Chief Officers of Cultural, Community; and Leisure Services in Scotland.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 May, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take evidence on its Disability Inquiry – Removing Barriers and Creating Opportunities. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
23 May 2006
15th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Accountability and Governance inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Jane Ryder, Scottish Charity Regulator;

Professor Lorne D Crerar, Convener, Standards Commission for Scotland; and

Jacquie Roberts, Chief Executive, Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care.

2. Inquiry into the Cost of the Local Authority Single Status Agreement: The Committee will consider the Scottish Executive’s response to the Committee’s report on the cost of the Local Authority Single Status Agreement.

3. Adoption and Children (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the Adoption and Children (Scotland) Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 6 June, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence from the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman, the Scottish Information Commissioner, Scotland’s Commissioner for Children and Young People, and the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner. The Committee will also consider a paper on the post-legislative scrutiny of Financial Memoranda; and consider a paper from the Committee adviser on the review of the Scottish Executive’s management of public finances.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on its Accountability and Governance inquiry and on various Financial Memoranda at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Procedures Committee
23 May 2006
9th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 6

1. Declaration of interests: Robin Harper will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. References to "Scottish Government" in motions and questions: The Committee will consider a further letter from Christine Grahame MSP.

3. Review of Parliamentary Time: The Committee will consider issues relating to the Parliament’s sitting hours.

4. Members’ Bills - member in charge: The Committee will consider possible substitution arrangements for members in charge of a Member’s Bill who are members of a committee scrutinising the Bill but not members of a political party with at least 2 MSPs.

5. Consolidation Bill procedure: The Committee will consider written evidence from the Scottish Executive and decide how to proceed with the inquiry.

6. Motions and decisions (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report and draft standing order changes.

Proposed future business

At its meetings on 6 and 20 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue consideration of issues raised in its Review of Parliamentary Time and complete its short inquiries on Members’ Bills and Consolidation Bills.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
23 May 2006
17th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 2

1. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider a response from the Executive to points raised on the following bill—

Criminal Proceedings etc (Reform) (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2.

3. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider a response from the Executive to points raised on the following bill—

Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2.

4. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Public Transport Users’ Committee for Scotland Order 2006, (SSI 2006/250); and

the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 (Commencement No. 1 and Transitional Provisions) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/239).

5. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Act 2005 (Supplementary Provisions) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/draft).

6. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Divorce (Religious Bodies) (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/253);

the Divorce and Dissolution etc. (Pension Protection Fund) (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/254); and

the Parental Responsibilities and Parental Rights Agreement (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/255).

7. Instruments not subject to Parliamentary procedure: The Committee will consider the following—

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (No. 11) (Scotland) Order 2005 Revocation Order 2006, (SSI 2006/260).

8. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 (Commencement No.2) Order 2006, (SSI 2006/252).

9. Conferring powers on the Scottish Parliament: The Committee will consider a memorandum from the Non Executive Bills Unit on—

Interests of Members of the Scottish Parliament Bill: Provision conferring power to make amendments by resolution of the Scottish Parliament.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 May, the Committee will consider Scottish statutory instruments and other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards and Public Appointments Committee
23 May 2006
5th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Cross-Party Group on Renewable Energy: The Committee will consider a request from the Cross-Party Group in the Scottish Parliament on Renewable Energy to revise its title and remit.

2. Petition PE951: The Committee will consider a petition by Walter Dean calling on the Scottish Parliament to ensure higher parliamentary standards by (a) amending the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner Act 2002 to put in place an appeal mechanism for complainants whose complaints to the Commissioner have been rejected; (b) providing adequate resources for the Standards Commissioner to carry out these functions properly; and (c) amending the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 to ensure that the Standards Commissioner is subject to its provisions.

3. Review of the Code of Conduct for MSPs: The Committee will consider discussion papers on section 8 and Annexe 6 of the Code of Conduct for MSPs

Proposed future business

At its next scheduled meeting on 6 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue consideration of its review of the Code of Conduct for MSPs.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Edinburgh Airport Rail Link Bill Committee
23 May 2006
2nd Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 3

1. Consideration of Objections: The Committee will consider a paper by the Clerk.

2. Adequacy of Accompanying documents and General Principles of the Bill: The Committee will consider the written evidence received on the adequacy of the accompanying documents and the General Principles of the Bill.

3. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 4 in private.

4. Approach to oral evidence-taking at Preliminary Stage: The Committee will consider a paper on its approach to oral evidence-taking.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting the Committee will take oral evidence at Preliminary Stage.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee
23 May 2006
8th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 8 in private.

2. An inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s plans for future structural funds programmes 2007-13: The Committee will take evidence from—

Donald Mackinnon, Director, South of Scotland European Partnership

Laurie Russell, Chief Executive, Strathclyde European Partnership

Gordon McLaren, Chief Executive, East of Scotland European Partnership

Dennis Malone, Chief Executive, the Highlands and Islands Partnership Programme

Christine Mulligan, Chief Executive, Objective 3 Partnership

3. European Commission’s Energy Green Paper Inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Andrew Warren, Director, Association for the Cconservation of Energy

Chas Booth, Parliamentary Officer, Friends of the Earth Scotland

John Stocks, The Carbon Trust, Manager for Scotland

4. The European Commission’s Work Programme 2006 - Tracking issues identified by the Committee: Following its decision to keep a watching brief on the European Commission’s Work Programme for 2006, the Committee will consider an update paper.

5. Pre- and post-EU Council scrutiny: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU—

Forthcoming Councils

Education, Youth and Culture Council, 18-19 May

Competitiveness (Internal Market, Industry and Research) Council, 29-30 May

Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council, 1-2 June

Justice and Home Affairs Council, 1-2 June

ECOFIN Council, 7 June

Transport, Telecommunications and Energy Council, 8-9 June

Previous Councils

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 25 April

Justice and Home Affairs Council, 27-28 April

6. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

7. Convener’s Report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

EU’s JESSICA and JEREMIE funding initiatives

Response from the Scottish Executive regarding points raised under Pre- and Post-Council scrutiny

House of Lords European Union Select Committee inquiry into further enlargement of the EU

8. Draft National Strategic Reference Framework: The Committee will agree its consultation response.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 6 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider:

  • oral evidence on Structural Funds from a number of witnesses including Allan Wilson MSP, the Deputy Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning
  • oral evidence on Legislative Consent Memorandum from George Lyon MSP, Deputy Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform
  • agree a draft report on the Inquiry into Possible cooperation betweeen Scotland and Ireland
  • consider a draft response to the European Commission’s White Paper on Communication Policy

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee
23 May 2006
13th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Ceramic Articles in Contact with Food (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/230);

the National Health Service (Pharmaceutical Services) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/245);

the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/246);

the National Health Service (General Medical Services Contracts) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/247); and

the National Health Service (Primary Medical Services Section 17C Agreements) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/248).

3. Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Bill team—

(As a Panel):

Jean MacLellan, Bill Team Leader, Scottish Executive Health Department;

Diane Strachan, Adult Support and Protection Unit, Scottish Executive Health Department;

Dave McLeod, Adult Support and Protection Unit, Scottish Executive Health Department;

Bette Francis, Adult Support and Protection Unit, Scottish Executive Health Department;

Lorna Brownlee, Civil Law Division, Scottish Executive;

Sandra McDonald, Office of the Public Guardian;
Jan Raitt, Community Care Division, Scottish Executive Health Department; and

Fiona Tyrell, Mental Health Division, Scottish Executive Health Department.

4. Care Inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

5. Budget 2007/08: The Committee will consider the appointment of an adviser.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 May, the Committee will be discussing IT and innovation in the Health Service. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee
23 May 2006
17th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private. The Committee will also consider whether to consider the main themes arising from the oral evidence sessions on its inquiry into the Scottish Criminal Record Office in private, at this and future meetings, in order to inform the drafting of its report.

2. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Shirley McKie, Iain McKie and Andrew Smith QC

and then from

Hugh Ferry, Former Director of the SCRO

3. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry: The Committee will consider whether to delegate to the Convener responsibility for arranging for the SPCB to pay under Rule 12.4.3, any expenses of witnesses in relation to the inquiry.

4. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry: The Committee will consider whether to accept written evidence received after the deadline for submission of written evidence.

5. Scottish Criminal Record Office inquiry: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence sessions to date on the inquiry, in order to inform the drafting of its report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 24 May, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence on the Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue to continue consideration of the Criminal Proceedings etc. (Reform) (Scotland) Bill and its inquiry into the Scottish Criminal Record Office at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee
23 May 2006
15th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 3 in private.

2. Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Lindsay Montgomery, Chief Executive, Tom Murray, Director of Legal Services & Applications, and Colin Lancaster, Head of Policy, Scottish Legal Aid Board;

Martyn Evans, Scottish Consumer Council; and then from—

Trevor Goddard and Peter Turrell, Royal and Sun Alliance;

Alistair J Sim, Marsh Limited; and then from—

William Alexander, James Clark, Neil McKechnie, Stewart Mackenzie, Joan Pentland-Clark; and then from—

David and Stephen Davidson, Mike Lloyd, Duncan Shields.

3. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

4. Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session, to inform the drafting of its Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 May, the Committee will take oral evidence from the Deputy Minister for Justice on the Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee will consider the Legal Profession and Legal Aid (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee
23 May 2006
14th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Declaration of interests: Mike Rumbles will be invited to declare any relevant interest.

2. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

3. European document: The Committee will consider a European Commission consultation document on strengthening the protection of the rights of passengers travelling by sea or inland waterway in the European Union.

4. Freight transport inquiry: The Committee will consider the possible contents of its report on the Freight Transport Inquiry.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 30 May, it is expected that the Committee will begin Stage 2 of its Local Electoral Administration and Registration Services (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue with Stage 2 of the Local Electoral Administration and Registration Services (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee
24 May 2006
17th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Homelessness: The Committee will take evidence from—

Malcolm Chisholm MSP, Minister for Communities.

2. Scottish Planning Policy SPP 4 - Mineral Working: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Deputy Minister for Communities.

3. Petition PE949: The Committee will consider petition PE949 by James Duncan, calling on the Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to review the role of the Scottish Executive Inquiry Reporters Unit in relation to the planning process for public works such as sewage plants and to ensure greater community involvement at the appeals stage.

4. Petition PE957: The Committee will consider petition PE957 by Phyllis French calling on the Parliament to urge the Scottish Executive to review its strategy Building Our Future: Scotland’s School Estate to ensure that new schools are built in a safe and secure environment and not, for example, on functional flood plains.

5. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Charities Accounts (Scotland) Regulations 2006, (SSI 2006/218).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 31 May, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the National Action Plan for Social Inclusion. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee
24 May 2006
11th Meeting, 2006

The Committee will meet at 1.30 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill - Consideration Stage phase two: The Committee will consider the Bill at phase two of Consideration Stage.

Proposed future business

The meeting on 24 May, is the last scheduled meeting of the Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee. After the completion of Consideration Stage, the Bill will go to Final Stage in the Parliament. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Contents An A B C D E F G H I J