Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.147/2005: Monday 24 October 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
A
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Finance Committee

25 October 2005

22nd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Cross-cutting Inquiry into Deprivation: The Committee will take evidence from—

Ian Mitchell, Director of Community Regeneration, Communities Scotland;

and then from –

David Nicoll, Chief Executive and Abigail Howard, Head of Policy and Research, Wise Group.

2. Council Tax Abolition and Service Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Financial Memorandum from –

Tommy Sheridan, MSP; and

Gordon Morgan, Scottish Socialist Party Researcher

3. Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Financial Memorandum from –

Jane Richardson, Head of Parole and Life Sentence Review Division, Scottish Executive

Proposed future business

At its next meeting will be on 1 November 2005, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take oral evidence on its cross-cutting expenditure review of deprivation; consider a paper on the Executive’s budget review; and its approach to Financial Memoranda.

In future the Committee will continue to take evidence on its cross-cutting expenditure review of deprivation; scrutinise the Executive’s budget proposals for 2006-07; and scrutinise the financial memoranda of Bills at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee

25 October 2005

17th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Consideration Stage Phase 1 from—

Groups 33, 34, 35, 36, 43 and 45

Promoter’s witnesses—

Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald; and Gary Turner, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald.

Groups 33, 34, 35, 36 and 43

Promoter’s witnesses—

Ian Kendall, Implementation Director, tie ltd; and Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office.

2. Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider evidence taken during the day.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Procedures Committee

25 October 2005

12th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 5

1. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 2 in private.

2. Private Bill Committee assessors: The Committee will consider legal advice on the issues raised in the inquiry.

3. Private Bill Committee assessors: The Committee will take evidence from—

Margaret Curran MSP, Minister for Parliamentary Business, Tavish Scott MSP, Minister for Transport, Murray Sinclair, Head of Constitution and Parliamentary Secretariat, Frazer Henderson, Transport and Works Bill Team Leader; and Patrick Layden, Deputy Solicitor, Office of the Solicitor to the Scottish Executive.

4. Timetable for Bills: The Committee will consider a paper by the Convener.

5. Procedures relating to Crown appointees: The Committee will consider options for addressing the issues raised in the inquiry.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 November the Committee will take oral evidence from a range of bodies in relation to the Review of Parliamentary Time inquiry. The Committee may also hear further oral evidence in relation to the inquiry on Private Bill Committee assessors.

Subordinate Legislation Committee

25 October 2005

28th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 2

1. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Management of Offenders (Scotland) Bill as amended at Stage 2.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

3. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the TSE (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/469);

the Pollution Prevention and Control (Designation of Public Participation Directive) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/461).

4. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Regional Transport Partnerships (Establishment, Constitution and Membership) (Scotland) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/draft);

the Civil Partnership Act 2004 (Consequential Amendments) (Scotland) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/draft).

5. Instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (No.12) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/497);

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (East Coast) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/498); and

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning) (Orkney) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/506).

6. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Tryptophan in Food (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/479);

the Reporting of Prices of Milk Products (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/484);

the Removal, Storage and Disposal of Vehicles (Prescribed Sums and Charges etc.) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/486);

the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 (Contingency Planning) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/494);

the Police Pensions (Part-time Service) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/495);

the Salmonella in Broiler Flocks (Sampling Powers) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/496);

the Additional Support for Learning Dispute Resolution (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/501);

the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/502);

the Food Hygiene (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/505);

the Pollution Prevention and Control (Public Participation etc.) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/510); and

the National Health Service (Superannuation Scheme, Injury Benefits and Compensation for Premature Retirement) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/512).

7. Instruments not subject to Parliamentary procedure: The Committee will consider the following—

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning) (East Coast) (Scotland) Revocation Order 2005, (SSI 2005/499).

8. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

Act of Adjournal (Criminal Procedure Rules Amendment No.5) (Sexual Offences Prevention Orders) 2005, (SSI 2005/472);

Act of Sederunt (Summary Applications, Statutory Applications and Appeals etc. Rules) Amendment (Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Offences) (Scotland) Act 2005) 2005, (SSI 2005/473);

the Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2005 (Commencement and Savings) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/480);

the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Act 2005 (Commencement No.1) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/492);

the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 (Commencement) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/493); and

Act of Sederunt (Summary Applications, Statutory Applications and Appeals etc. Rules) Amendment (Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003) 2005, (SSI 2005/504).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 1 November it is expected that the Committee will further consider the Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill and Scottish statutory instruments and other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure.

The Committee also expects to take evidence on its inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee

25 October 2005

15th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Declaration of Interests: The Convener will invite the new member of the Committee to declare any relevant interests.

2. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to take item 7 in private.

3. Committee Work Programme 2005/06: Members will consider proposals for the forthcoming Work Programme.

4. Pre- and post-EU Council scrutiny: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU—

Forthcoming Councils

Environment Council, 17 October

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 24-25 October

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 7 November

ECOFIN Council, 8 November

Previous Councils

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 19-20 September

5. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

6. Convener’s Report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

Committee’s letter to the Scottish Executive concerning Ferguson’s Bid for Fisheries Protection Vessels Contract;

Committee’s letter to the Scottish Executive concerning the Transport, Telecommunications and Energy Council; 6 October 2005;

Committee’s enquiry to the Scottish Executive regarding the Better Regulation Conference held in Edinburgh on the 22-23 September 2005;

Letter from Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment & Rural Development, concerning the Transposition of the high activity sealed sources and orphan sources (HASS) Directive;

Letter from Alyn Smith MEP concerning the possible establishment of the European Institute of Technology in Scotland;

Forthcoming NORPEC meeting in Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt, 2-4 November 2005; and

Forthcoming visit to the Scottish Parliament by Josep Borrell, President of the European Parliament.

7. Inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent initiative: The Committee will consider a draft Report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 November 2005 it is expected that the Committee will consider a further draft of its Fresh Talent inquiry report. The Committee also expects to consider a draft remit for its new inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee

25 October 2005

25th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 5 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Mental Health (Certificates for Medical Treatment) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/443);

the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 (Transitional and Savings Provision) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/452);

the Food Labelling Amendment (No. 2) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/456); and

the Bovine Products (Restriction on Placing on the Market) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/470).

3. Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Dr Andrew Kitchener, Human Remains in Scottish Museums Working Group;

Professor Anthony Payne, University of Glasgow;

Dawn Kemp, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh; and

Panel 2

Lewis Macdonald, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care; and

Elish Angiolini, Solicitor General.

4. Subordinate Legislation Committee inquiry: The Committee will consider a draft response to the Subordinate Legislation Committee’s Regulatory Framework in Scotland inquiry.

5. Budget Process 2006-07: The Committee will consider a draft report on the Scottish Executive 2006-07 Draft Budget.

6. Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session, to inform the drafting of its Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting the Committee will hold a round table evidence session on the Abolition of NHS Prescription Charges (Scotland) Bill. The Committee will also consider a second draft of its report on the Scottish Executive 2006-07 Draft Budget.

The Committee will take evidence on the Abolition of Prescription Charges (Scotland) Bill and consider a draft Stage 1 report on the Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee

25 October 2005

25th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Bill - witness expenses: The Committee will be invited to delegate to the Convener responsibility for arranging for the SPCB to pay, under Rule 12.4.3, any expenses of witnesses in relation to this Bill.

3. Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1 from-

Panel 1

Sir William Rae QPM, Honorary Secretary, Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland;

Mr Peter Wilson QPM, Vice President, Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland;

Mr Joe Grant, General Secretary, Scottish Police Federation; and

Mr Tom Buchan, President, Association of Scottish Police Superintendents.

Panel 2

Mr John McLean, Director, Scottish Criminal Record Office; and

Mr Graham Pearson, Director, Scottish Drugs Enforcement Agency.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments-

The Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/448);

The Civil Legal Aid (Scotland) (Fees) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/449);

The Criminal Legal Aid (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/450);

The Legal Aid in Contempt of Court Proceedings (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/451); and

The Fire and Rescue Services (Framework) (Scotland) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/453).

5. Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Bill - consideration of evidence: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session, to inform the drafting of its Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 October 2005 the Committee will meet jointly with the Justice 1 Committee and will take evidence on the Budget Process 2006-2007.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on the Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee

26 October 2005

25th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Budget process 2006-07: The Committee will take evidence from—

Malcolm Chisholm MSP, Minister for Communities.

2. Petition PE809: The Committee will consider a petition by Angela and William Flanagan on third party right of appeal regarding planning applications.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 2 November 2005 it is expected that the Committee will consider the Housing (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2.

At a subsequent meeting, scheduled for 9 November, the Committee will expects to consider a draft report on the Budget Process 2006-07. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill Committee

26 October 2005

13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Proposed Alternative Alignments: The Committee will consider witness summaries and witness lists submitted by the promoter and objectors

2. Consideration Stage: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Consideration Stage from—

Group 10: Vanguard Rentals (UK) Ltd, Group 11: Murrayfield Indoor Sports Club, Group 13: Stepgrade Motors Accessories Ltd/Viking International, Group 14: Roseburn Motors, Mr Mohammed Khalil, Group 15: Collinsons Ceramics, Group 16: Custom Projects, Group 17: J B McLean, Group 18: P D Labels, Group 19: Grays Mill Coachworks, Group 20: MRM Coachworks

Promoter’s witness—

Archibald Brown Rintoul, Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Group 10: Vanguard Rentals (UK) Ltd, Group 11: Murrayfield Indoor Sports Club, Group 12: Mr Frank Earley, Group 13: Stepgrade Motors Accessories Ltd/Viking International, Group 14: Roseburn Motors, Mr Mohammed Khalil, Group 15: Collinsons Ceramics, Group 16: Custom Projects, Group 17: J B McLean, Group 18: P D Labels, Group 19: Grays Mill Coachworks, Group 20: MRM Coachworks, Group 21: UCG Properties Ltd and Partco Ltd

Promoter’s witness—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Faber Maunsell

Group 17: J B McLean

Objector’s witness—

John Kennedy, Cowan & Partners;

Simon Dormer, Messers John MacGregor & Co; and

Roddy McLean, J B McLean Interiors.

Group 12: Mr Frank Earley

Promoter’s witness—

Mathew Edgar, Director of Colliers CRE, Chartered Surveyors and Property Consultants

Group 18: P D Labels

Promoter’s witnesses—

John Hyde, Noise and Vibration Consultant, Faber Maunsell

Group 22: Jenners Princess Street Edinburgh Ltd

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Faber Maunsell;

John Hyde, Noise and Vibration Consultant, Faber Maunsell; and

Geoff Duke, Project Manager, tie Ltd.

Group 53: Mr Hodkinson

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Faber Maunsell;

James Truscott, Technical Expert, ASH;

John Hyde, Noise and Vibration Consultant, Faber Maunsell; and

Archibald Brown Rintoul, Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

Group 54: Mrs D Kaur

Promoter’s witnesses—

Geoff Duke, Project Manager, tie Ltd;

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Faber Maunsell;

James Truscott, Technical Expert, ASH;

John Hyde, Noise and Vibration Consultant, Faber Maunsell; and

Alasdair Sim, Technical Expert, ASH.

Group 56: Mr K Wilson

Promoter’s witness—

John Hyde, Noise and Vibration Consultant, Faber Maunsell.

Group 57: Mr and Mrs McNee

Alasdair Sim, Technical Expert, ASH;

John Hyde, Noise and Vibration Consultant, Faber Maunsell;

Archibald Brown Rintoul, Member of the Royal Institution of chartered Surveyors; and

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Faber Maunsel.

3. Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider evidence taken during the day.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the details of the Bill at Consideration Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee

26 October 2005

31st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 2

1. Scottish Commissioner for Human Rights Bill (in private): The Committee will consider its approach to the scrutiny of the Bill at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 October 2005, at 10.30 am, which will be held jointly with the Justice 2 Committee, the Committee will take evidence in relation to the Budget process 2006-07.

The Committee will continue to consider the Family Law (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee

26 October 2005

16th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 3

1. Declaration of interests: Charlie Gordon MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE893 Petition by Paul Macdonald calling for opposition to the introduction of any ban on the sale or possession of swords in Scotland which are used for legitimate historical, cultural, artistic, sporting, economic and religious purposes. Paul Macdonald will make a brief statement in support of his petition.

PE892 Petition by Ronnie Beaty calling for safety measures for school buses. Ronnie Beaty will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Janet Beaty.

PE882 Petition by Murdo MacRitchie calling for the provision of a direct link flight service between Aberdeen and Stornoway.

PE890 Petition by James Mackie calling for the creation, within the forthcoming Police Bill, of an independent police complaints commission.  

PE889 Petition by James Mackie calling for examination of the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003, legal representation and legal aid for patients detained in Psychiatric Wards and/or released to the Community under the influence of prescribed drugs.  

3. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE639 The storage and dispensing of NHS prescribed drugs in schools. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community Care and the Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS).

PE749 A moratorium on the spreading of sewage sludge and an inquiry into its safety. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE766 The current system of collecting taxes by the Inland Revenue and change the legislation. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE806 A moratorium on the closure of Community Hospitals and a review of Scottish Executive policy. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health, NHS Borders, the National framework Advisory Group and the National Workforce Committee

PE789 The supervised taking of methadone prescriptions. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community Care and the petitioner.

PE807 Influence of supermarkets in the food chain. The Committee will consider responses from the Office of Fair Trading; Institute of Grocery Distributors; Scottish Consumer Council; the Scottish Executive; Scottish Retail Consortium; Food Standards Agency, Friends of the Earth Scotland and NFU Scotland.

PE825 Provision of school lockers. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Chiropractic Association; British Chiropractic Association; the Minister for Education and Young People; Back Care; Scottish Youth Parliament; Glasgow City Council and the Headteachers’ Association of Scotland.

PE695 Accessible local transport. The Committee will consider responses from the petitioner and Community Transport Association.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 9 November it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on the imposition of VAT on aviation fuel; a review of the railway infrastructure; the disposal of listed buildings and the Scottish Civic Forum. The Committee is also expected to give further consideration to current petitions on services for sufferers of post-polio syndrome; road design standards; windfarm construction; tolls on the Erskine bridge; compensation for injured people; the establishment of a sports academy in the Borders; small scale energy generation equipment; and the preservation of playing fields and recreational spaces.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

26 October 2005

26th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider item 4 in private.

2. Environmental Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Barry Turner, Chairman, Carrier Bag Consortium;

Jim Pringle, Sales Manager, Mackinnon and Hay Ltd;

John Langlands, Chief Executive, British Polythene Industries plc; and

Neil Young, Managing Director, Simpac Ltd.

Panel 2

Michael Longstaffe, Managing Director, Smith Anderson Packaging Ltd;

Michael Stephen, Technical Director, Symphony Plastic Technologies plc; and

Karen Mackenzie, Director, BioBags (Scotland) Ltd.

3. Budget process 2006-2007: The Committee will take evidence on the Executive’s Draft Budget 2006-07 from—

Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development.

4. Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Bill, should the Bill be referred to it as lead committee at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 2 November (and at its subsequent meeting, scheduled for 9 November) the Committee will continue to take evidence as part of its Stage 1 consideration of the Environmental Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill. On 2 November the Committee will also take evidence from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development on issues arising from the Executive’s consultation on a draft Crofting Reform Bill. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee

26 October 2005

32nd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 2, to consider jointly, with the Justice 2 Committee, the following items:

1. Items in private: The Committees will decide whether to take item 3 in private and whether to consider evidence received and a draft report on the Budget Process 2006-07 in private at future meetings.

2. Budget process 2006-07: The Committees will take evidence from—

Doug Cross, Secretary to the Finance Standing Committee, Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (ACPOS);

Tom Buchan, President, Association of Scottish Police Superintendents (ASPS); and

Joe Grant, General Secretary, Scottish Police Federation.

and then from—

Tony Cameron, Chief Executive, Scottish Prison Service (SPS); and

Willie Pretswell, Director, Finance and Business Services, Scottish Prison Service.

3. Budget process 2006-07: The Committees will consider evidence received in relation to the Budget Process 2006-07.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 1 November 2005, which will be held jointly with the Justice 2 Committee, it is expected that the Committee will take further evidence in relation to the Budget process 2006-07.

The Committee will continue to consider the Family Law (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2 at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee

26 October 2005

26th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 2, to consider jointly, with the Justice 1 Committee, the following items:

1. Items in Private: The Committees will decide whether to take item 3 in private and whether to consider evidence received and a draft report on the Budget Process 2006-07 in private at future meetings.

2. Budget Process 2006-07: The Committees will take evidence from—

Doug Cross, Secretary to the Finance Standing Committee, Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (ACPOS);

Tom Buchan, President, Association of Scottish Police Superintendents (ASPS); and

Joe Grant, General Secretary, Scottish Police Federation.

and then from—

Tony Cameron, Chief Executive, Scottish Prison Service (SPS); and

Willie Pretswell, Director, Finance and Business Services, Scottish Prison Service.

3. Budget Process 2006-07: The Committees will consider evidence received in relation to the Budget Process 2006-07.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 1 November 2005, which will be held jointly with the Justice 1 Committee, it is expected that the Committee will take further evidence in relation to the Budget process 2006-07.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee

26 October 2005

18th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 11.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Child protection reform programme: The Committee will consider an update from the Scottish Executive.

2. School closures: The Committee will take evidence from—

Peter Peacock MSP, Minister for Education and Young People; and

Colin Reeves, Head of Schools Division, Education Department.

3. School transport: The Committee will take evidence from—

Peter Peacock MSP, Minister for Education and Young People; and

Colin Reeves, Head of Schools Division, Education Department.

4. Budget process 2006-07: The Committee will take evidence from—

Peter Peacock MSP, Minister for Education and Young People;

Philip Rycroft, Head of Schools Group, Education Deaprtment;

Colin MacLean, Head of Children, Young People and Social Care Group, Education Department; and

Joe Brown, Head of Policy Support Unit, Education Department.

5. Budget process 2006-07: The Committee will consider the contents of its draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next planned meeting on 9 November it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on the 2006-2007 budget and will take evidence on its early years inquiry. The Committee will consider the Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

An
A
I