Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.126/2005: Tuesday 13 September 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
I

Section A – Today’s Business

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in the Scottish Parliament, unless otherwise specified. Contact details for Committee Clerks are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
19th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 2

1. Budget Process 2006-07: The Committee will consider a paper from the budget adviser.

2. Cross-cutting Inquiry into Deprivation: The Committee will consider research by Professor Glen Bramley and additionally will take evidence from—

Professor Glen Bramley, Professor of Urban Studies, Heriot-Watt University;

Professor Alan McGregor, Professor of Economic Development, Training and Employment Research Unit, University of Glasgow;

Norma Hurley, Director, Blake Stevenson Ltd;

Professor Stephen Syrett, Reader in Local Economic Development, Middlesex University;

Professor Matt Sutton, Professor of Health Economics, University of Aberdeen;

Professor Ivan Turok, Urban Economic Development, University of Glasgow; and

Peter Wood, Managing Director, Tribal HCH.

3. Committee Away Day: The Committee will consider and endorse the minute from its away day held in August.

4. Item in Private: The Committee will decide whether to consider its draft report on the Financial Memorandum of the St Andrew’s Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Bill in private at its next meeting.

Audit Committee
13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee will be invited to make a declaration of any interests.

2. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 6 and 7 in private.

3. Commissioning Community Care Services for Older People and Management of Community Equipment: The Committee will consider a follow-up response from the Scottish Executive to its 2nd report 2005 entitled "Community Care".

4. NHS Financial Performance Overview: The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive to its 5th report 2005 entitled "Overview of the Financial Performance of the NHS in Scotland 2003/04".

5. National Galleries: The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive to its 3rd report 2005 entitled "National Galleries of Scotland".

6. AGS Section 22 Reports: The Committee will consider an issues paper on its inquiry into the section 22 reports by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled-

The 2003-04 Audit of West Lothian College

The 2003-04 Audit of Inverness College

The 2003-04 Audit of Lews Castle College.

7. AGS Report on Bowel Cancer Services: The Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the report by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled "A Review of Bowel Cancer Services: An early diagnosis" (AGS/2005/2).

Equal Opportunities Committee
12th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Declaration of interests: The new members of the Committee will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Equality Bill: The Committee will take oral evidence on the Equality Bill currently before the UK Parliament from—

Ali Jarvis, Commission for Racial Equality;

Adam Gaines, Disability Rights Commission;

Tim Hopkins, Equality Network and CEHR Steering Group;

John Wilkes, Equal Opportunities Commission;

David Cobb, Scottish Human Rights Centre; and

Vanessa Taylor, Scottish Inter Faith Council.

3. Equality Bill: The Committee will consider the evidence heard and agree its approach to the Bill.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee
12th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 3

1. Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Consideration Stage Phase 1 from—

Groups 30, 32 and 47

Promoter’s witnesses—

Andrew J Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald

Barry Cross, Project Development Director, tie ltd

Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie

Mark M Bain, Senior Engineer, Mott MacDonald

Neil Harper, Associate Partner, Brian Hannaby & Associates

Karen Raymond, Principal Partner, Environmental Resources Management Ltd

Les Buckman, Transport Planner, Steer Davies Gleave

Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald

Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office.

Group 30 and 47

Promoter’s witnesses—

Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald

Gary Turner, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald

Ian Kendall, Implementation Director, tie ltd

Professor Brian Evans, Chartered Designer and Partner, Gillespies - Urban Designers, Landscape Architects and Architects

Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie

Andy Coates, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management Ltd

Dick Dapré, Transport Planner, Steer Davies Gleave

Karen Raymond, Principal Partner, Environmental Resources Management Ltd

Kevin A Murray, Project Manager, tie ltd

Les Buckman, Transport Planner, Steer Davies Gleave.

Group 30

Promoter’s witnesses—

Professor Brian Evans, Chartered Designer and Partner, Gillespies - Urban Designers, Landscape Architects and Architects

Les Buckman, Transport Planner, Steer Davies Gleave

Steve Mitchell, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM)

Tom Blackhall, Utilities Manager, tie ltd

Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald

Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie

Dick Dapré, Transport Planner, Steer Davies Gleave

Jim Harries, Project Engineer, Transdev Edinburgh Tram

Gary Turner, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald.

Group 47

Promoter’s witnesses—

Professor Brian Evans, Chartered Designer and Partner, Gillespies – Urban Designers, Landscape Architects and Architects

Rodger Jones, Acting Design Manager, tie ltd

Steve Mitchell, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM)

Gary Turner, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald

Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie.

Group 32

Promoter’s witnesses—

Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie

Gary Turner, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald

Dick Dapré, Transport Planner, Steer Davies Gleave

Ian Kendall, Implementation Director, tie ltd

Jim Harries, Project Engineer, Transdev Edinburgh Tram

Professor Brian Evans, Chartered Designer and Partner, Gillespies – Urban Designers, Landscape Architects and Architects.

Group 30 (Starbank/Trinity Group A)

Objector’s witness—

Alyson Cameron, Chairman, Newhaven Community Council

Michael Clarke, householder

Peter Gossip, householder

Gillian Dinwoodie, Chair, Victoria Primary School Board

Robert Drysdale, householder.

Group 47 (Starbank/Trinity Group B)

Objector’s witness—

Antony White, householder

Claire Rooney, householder.

Group 32 (Wardie Bay Residents Association)

Objector’s witness—

Jane Dalrymple, Wardie Bay Residents Association

Jill Bennett, Wardie Bay Residents Association

David Jamieson, Wardie Bay Residents Association.

2. Oral Evidence Timetable and Approach: The Committee will consider a paper on the timetable and approach to oral evidence for groups 33-36, 43 and 45.

3. Proposed Amendments to the Bill: The Committee will consider a paper on the deadlines and timetable for written and oral evidence from objectors to the proposed alignment amendments to the Bill.

4. Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider evidence taken during the day.

Procedures Committee
10th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 6

1. Declaration of interests: Chris Ballance MSP and Alex Johnstone MSP will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Oral questions: The Committee will consider a letter from the Parliamentary Bureau proposing a change to Rule 13.7.4.

3. Sewel Convention (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report and draft standing order changes.

4. Admissibility and closure of public petitions (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report and draft standing order changes.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
24th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

the Environmental Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

2. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Mental Health (Specified Persons’ Correspondence) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/408);

the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (Procedure and Delegation of Functions) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/411);

the Mental Health (Period for Appeal) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/416); and

the Regulation of Scallop Dredges (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/371).

3. Instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (No.9) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/421); and

the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (No.10) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/431).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland (Practice and Procedure) Rules 2005, (SSI 2005/420);

the Regulation of Care (Prescribed Registers) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/432); and

the Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/435).

5. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 2005 (Commencement) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/419);

the Regulation of Care (Scotland) Act 2001 (Commencement No.6) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/426);

the Civil Partnership Act 2004 (Commencement No.1) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/428);

the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2003 (Commencement No.6) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/433); and

the Tuberculosis (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/434).

6. Executive correspondence: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive on general issues relating to the scrutiny of SSIs and bills.

Enterprise and Culture Committee
18th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. St Andrew’s Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from Dennis Canavan MSP.

3. Inquiry into Scottish football: The Committee will take evidence from:

Mr Frank McAveety MSP; and

Tom Johnston, Secretary, Scottish Junior Football Association; Rod Houston, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Schools Football Association; Martin Rose, Acting Chair, Scottish Football Supporters Federation; James Proctor, Policy Officer, Supporters Direct in Scotland, and Joe McLean, Partner, Grant Thornton UK LLP.

4. Inquiry into business growth: The Committee will review the progress of its inquiry following the outcomes of the Business in the Parliament 2005 conference.

5. Inquiry into Scottish football: The Committee will consider issues emerging from its inquiry and preparations for the final report.

European and External Relations Committee
13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Declaration of interests: The Convener will invite the new members of the Committee to declare any relevant interests.

2. The UK Presidency of the European Union: The Committee will take evidence from -

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform;

David Crawley, Head of Scottish Executive EU Office, Brussels; and

Jane McCloskey, European Division, The Scottish Executive.

3. Inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent Initiative: The Committee will take evidence from –

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform;

Lorna Clark, Head of Fresh Talent Initiative, Scottish Executive; and

Louise MacDonald, Head of the International Projects Division, Scottish Executive.

4. Pre- and post-EU Council scrutiny: The Committee will consider the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU –

Forthcoming Councils

Environment Council, 24 June

ECOFIN Council, 12 July

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 18-19 July

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 18-19 July

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 19-20 September

Previous Councils

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 30 May

Justice and Home Affairs Council, 2-3 June

Competitiveness (Internal Market, Industry and Research) Council, 6-7 June

ECOFIN Council, 7 June

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 13-14 June

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 20-21 June

Environment Council, 24 June

Transport, Telecommunications and Energy Council, 27-28 June

ECOFIN Council, 12 July

ECOFIN Council, 15 July

Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 18-19 July

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 18-19 July

5. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

6. Convener’s Report: The Convener will update the Committee on the -

Letter from Tom McCabe MSP, the Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform, concerning the location of EU Agencies;

Preparations for the EMILE meeting, to be held in the Scottish Parliament on 15th September;

Public address to be given by Douglas Alexander MP, Minister for Europe, on Thursday 22nd September at 13h00 in Committee Room 2;

Scottish European Structural Funds Programmes: Annual Summary Document;

Letter from Cathy Jamieson MSP, Minister for Justice, to the Convener’s of the two Justice Committees, relating to EU Directive 2004/80/EC; and

Letter from Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development on the bid by Ferguson’s Shipbuilders for the Fisheries Protection vessels contract.

Health Committee
21st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 5 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Lewis Macdonald, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care, to move the following motions—

S2M-3178—That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Definition of Specified Person: Correspondence) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved;

S2M-3183—That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Absconding by Mentally Disordered Offenders) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved;

S2M-3184—That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Use of Telephones) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved;

S2M-3208—That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 (Modification of Enactments) Order 2005 be approved;

S2M-3209—That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Safety and Security) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved; and

S2M-3210—That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Cross-border transfer: patients subject to detention requirement or otherwise in hospital) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Mental Health (Compulsion orders – documents and reports to be submitted to the Tribunal) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/365);

the Mental Health (Compulsory treatment orders – documents and reports to be submitted to the Tribunal) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/366);

the Mental Health (Conflict of Interest) (Scotland) (No. 2) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/380);

the Mental Health (Removal Order) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/381);

the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (Fee Payable to Designated Medical Practitioners) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/412); and

the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 (Code of Practice) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/417).

4. Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Dr Jeremy Metters, HM Inspector of Anatomy;

Jan Warner, Director, Performance Assessment and Practise Development, NHS Quality Improvements Scotland;

Lesley Logan, Regional Manager for Scotland, Scottish Transplant Coordinators’ Network;

Chris Rudge, Medical Director, UK Transplant;

Dr Oliver Blatchford, Acting Director of Public Health, NHS Argyll and Clyde; and

Dr Elizabeth Robertson, Associate Medical Director, NHS Grampian.

Panel 2

Murdoch MacTaggart, Vice President, Procurators Fiscal Society;

Professor Anthony Busuttil, Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill Working Party Member, Law Society of Scotland;

Dr Jim Rodger, Head of Medical Advisory Services, Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland; and

Dr Calum MacKellar, Director of Research, Scottish Council on Human Bioethics.

5. Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session, to inform the drafting of its Stage 1 report.

Justice 2 Committee
21st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Item in Private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private.

2. Subordinate Legislation: Hugh Henry MSP, Deputy Minister for Justice to move the following motions—

S2M 3185—That the Justice 2 Committee recommends that the draft Advice and Assistance (Assistance by Way of Representation) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations be approved.

S2M-3239—That the Justice 2 Committee recommends that the draft Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) (Scotland) Order 2005 be approved.

3. Regulatory Powers Inquiry: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Convener of the Subordinate Legislation Committee.

4. Forthcoming Legislation: The Committee will consider its approach to the forthcoming Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Bill.

Local Government and Transport Committee
23rd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Tendering of ferry service in the Clyde and Hebrides: The Committee will take evidence from—

Tavish Scott MSP, Minister for Transport and Telecommunications;

David Hart, Head of Transport Division 4, Scottish Executive;

Graham Laidlaw, Maritime State Aids Unit, Scottish Executive;

David Dow, Office of the Solicitor, Scottish Executive; and

Jim Logie, Team Leader of Finance Transport, Scottish Executive

2. Council Tax Abolition and Service Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Dr Peter Kenway, Director, New Policy Institute

Panel 2

John Park, Assistant Secretary, STUC; and

Dave Watson, UNISON Scotland

Justice 1 Committee
25th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 3.30 pm in T3.29

1. European Commission Green Papers: The Committee will take evidence from—

Olivier Tell, Principal Administrator, Directorate-General for Justice, Freedom and Security, European Commission; and

Monika Ekström, Administrator, Directorate-General for Justice, Freedom and Security, European Commission.

An
I