Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.106/2005: Monday 27 June 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

D
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Audit Committee
28 June 2005
12th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Section 22 Reports (in private): The Committee will consider lines of questioning for the witnesses at agenda item 5.

2. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee will be invited to make a declaration of any interests.

3. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 6 and 7 in private.

4. Audit Scotland Annual Report 2004/05 and Corporate Plan 2005-08: The Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on the Audit Scotland Annual Report 2004/05 and the Corporate Plan 2005-08.

5. AGS Section 22 Reports: The Committee will take evidence on its inquiry into the section 22 reports by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled—

The 2003-04 Audit of Lews Castle College
The 2003-04 Audit of West Lothian College
The 2003-04 Audit of Inverness College

from—

Mrs Sue Pinder, Principal and Chief Executive and Dr Tony Kinder, Chair of the Board of Management, West Lothian College; Mr David R Green, Principal, Lews Castle College; Professor J Little, Principal and Chief Executive, and Mr Ken Mackie, Chair of the Board of Management, Inverness College ; Mr Roger McClure, Chief Executive, Brian Baverstock, Deputy Director, Governance and Management: Appraisal and Policy, and Riona Bell, Director of Funding, Scottish Funding Councils for Further & Higher Education; Eddie Frizzell CB, Head of Enterprise, Transport & Lifelong Learning Department, and Aileen McKechnie, Head of Further and Adult Education Division, Scottish Executive.

6. AGS Section 22 Reports: The Committee will consider the evidence taken at agenda item 5.

7. AGS Report on Bowel Cancer Services: The Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the report by the Auditor General for Scotland entitled “A Review of Bowel Cancer Services: An early diagnosis” (AGS/2005/2).

Proposed future business

At its first meeting after recess, it is expected that the Committee will consider draft reports on its inquiry into Bowel Cancer Services and its inquiry into the Section 22 Reports on the 2003-04 Audit of Lews Castle College, the 2003-04 Audit of West Lothian College and the 2003-04 Audit of Inverness College. The Committee will also receive a briefing on the AGS report on delayed discharges in Scotland. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Equal Opportunities Committee
28 June 2005
11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Gypsy/Travellers - Review of progress: The Committee will hear evidence from—

Johann Lamont MSP, Deputy Minister for Communities.

2. Disability Inquiry: The Committee will consider a summary of evidence.

Proposed future business

The Committee will not meet again until after summer recess. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Finance Committee
28 June 2005
17th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Relocation of Public Sector Jobs: Following on from its inquiry and report in 2004, the Committee will take further evidence on the relocation of public sector jobs from—

Tavish Scott MSP, Deputy Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform;
David Robb, Head of Public Bodies Unit, Scottish Executive; and
Morris Fraser, Public Bodies Unit, Scottish Executive.

3. Scottish Parliament Holyrood Building: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Presiding Officer and take evidence from—

Robert Brown MSP, Member, Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body;
Paul Grice, Clerk and Chief Executive;
Graham Rennie, Consultant Project Manager, Holyrood Project Team; and
Dave Ferguson, Holyrood Project Adviser, Scottish Parliament.

4. Efficient Government: The Committee will consider its findings from its site visits on 21 June 2005 and will note correspondence from the Executive and a paper from the Budget Adviser.

5. Written Agreements on the Budget Process: The Committee will consider the Written Agreements on the Budgeting Process between the Committee and (i) the Scottish Executive, (ii) the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body and (iii) the Scottish Commission for Public Audit.

6. Correspondence: The Committee will consider correspondence received by the Convener.

7. Civil Service Effectiveness (in private): The Committee will consider its draft submission to the Public Administration Select Committee’s inquiry into Civil Service Effectiveness.

Proposed future business

The Committee’s next meeting will be on 6 September after the summer recess. It is expected that the Committee will consider its future work programme; and Financial Memoranda.

The Committee will begin taking evidence as part of its inquiry into Deprivation, will scrutinise the Executive’s Draft Budget 2006-07 and will consider the Financial Memoranda of other Bills at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
28 June 2005
12th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE869 Removal of tolls from the Erskine Bridge . Councillor Andrew White will make a brief statement in support of his petition.

PE873 Recognition of Post Polio Syndrome and a national review of neurological services. Helene MacLean will make a brief statement in support of her petition, accompanied by Agnes Walker and Malcolm McNicol.

PE863 Court representation for limited companies . Bill Alexander will make a brief statement in support of his petition.

PE870 Opposing the ban on smoking in enclosed public places.

PE872 Legislative presumption against rural school closures .

PE871 Support for peaceful protest during the G8 summit.

PE874 To lobby the G8 summit heads of state on the issue of world poverty.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE808 Mental health services for deaf/deafblind . The Committee will consider responses from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care, RNID Scotland and the John Denmark Unit.

PE783 Establishment of a National Bird for Scotland. The Committee will consider the progress of this petition.

PE790 A public inquiry into organ retention. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community Care, the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service and Scottish Cot Death Trust.

PE791 Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community Care, NHS National Services Scotland and National Service Advisory Group.

PE799 COAST’s proposals to close an area of Lamlash Bay to all forms of marine life extraction. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive, Clyde and South West Static Association, Isle of Arran Sea Angling Association, Scottish Natural Heritage, Clyde Fishermen’s Association and the Scottish Association for Marine Science.

PE802 Regulation of health professionals. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community Care and the Health Professions Council.

PE804 Common Fisheries Policy. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Environment and Rural development.

PE820 Adequate funding for therapeutic work initiatives. The Committee will consider responses from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care, the Disability Rights Commission, Capability Scotland and the Scottish Association for Mental Health.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on Wednesday 7 September, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on the current system for dealing with and monitoring convicted sexual offenders; safeguards against vulnerable adults being given, by surreptitious means, unwanted, unnecessary and potentially harmful medication; Roman remains; coastal erosion; road haulage; and the sequestration recall process.

It is also expected that the Committee will give further consideration to current petitions on National Parks; GSM(R) Masts; Oxfam’s global campaign for education; the potential health hazards associated with long-term exposure to high voltage transmission lines; the terms of UNISON Scotland’s NHS Food for Good Charter; the implications for rural areas of the introduction of NHS24 services; education maintenance allowance payments and Trust law.

Standards and Public Appointments Committee
28 June 2005
6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 2 in private.

2. Replacing the Members’ Interests Order: The Committee will consider a draft of its Members’ Interests Committee Bill.

Proposed future business

The Committee expects to continue its review of the Code of Conduct for MSPs and its work on replacing the Members’ Interests Order at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
28 June 2005
22nd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 6 in private.

2. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Products of Animal Origin (Third Country Imports) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/323);
the Cereal Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/328);
the Fodder Plant Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/329);
the Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/338);
the Pollution Prevention and Control (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/340);
the Education (Graduate Endowment, Student Fees and Support) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/341); and
the Fire (Additional Function) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/342).

3. Draft instruments subject to approval: The Committee will consider the following—

the Advice and Assistance (Assistance by way of Representation) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/draft); and
the Housing Grants (Assessment of Contributions) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/draft).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Requirements for Teachers (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/355).

5. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 (Commencement No.1) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/358).

6. Inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland: The Committee will further consider an approach paper in relation to phase 2 of its inquiry.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 4 September, it is expected that the Committee will consider Scottish statutory instruments and other documents subject to Parliamentary procedure. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Enterprise and Culture Committee
28 June 2005
16th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Declaration of interests: Shiona Baird MSP will be invited to make a declaration of interests.

2. Inquiry into business growth: The Committee will take evidence from—

Alan Wilson, Chief Executive, and Iain Duff, Chief Economist, Scottish Council for the Development of Industry on international issues;
Mary Greene, Business Development and Research Director, Financial Services Skills Council, Graeme Ogilvy, Scottish Manager, CIBT-Construction Skills, and Kieron Gavan, Director of Employer Engagement, Sector Skills Development Agency on people and skills issues;
Stephen Boyle, Director, Futureskills Scotland on people and skills issues.

3. Inquiry into business growth - taking stock: The committee will consider (a) a paper by its adviser, Dr Wolfgang Michalski, (b) issues emerging from the inquiry to date and (c) the forward work programme for the inquiry.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 6 September, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 of the St Andrew’s Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Bill. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee
28 June 2005
20th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Inquiry into rural development: The Committee will take evidence from—

Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development;
Malcolm Chisholm MSP, Minister for Communities; and
Allan Wilson MSP, Deputy Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning.

3. European issues: The Committee will take evidence on the Scottish Executive’s priorities for the environment and rural development portfolio for the forthcoming UK Presidency of the EU from—

Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Air Quality Limit Values (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/300);
the Loch Crinan Scallops Several Fishery Order 2005, (SSI 2005/304);
the Nitrate (Public Participation etc.) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/305);
the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Variation of Schedule) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/308);
the Genetically Modified Organisms (Transboundary Movements) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/316);
the Financial Assistance for Environmental Purposes (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/324);
the Prevention and Monitoring of Cetacean Bycatch (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/330);
the Plant Protection Products (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/331); and
the Eggs (Marketing Standards) (Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/332).

5. Environmental Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to the Bill at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

The Committee’s next scheduled meeting will take place after the recess on 7 September, and it is expected that the Committee will consider the evidence taken for its inquiry into rural development.

At future meetings, the Committee expects to consider amendments at Stage 2 of the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill and to commence its scrutiny of the Environmental Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill Committee
28 June 2005
9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Proposed route changes: The Committee will consider a paper by the clerk.

2. Consideration Stage: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Consideration Stage from—

Group 9: Scottish Rugby Union

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Aileen Grant, Principal Planner, City Development Department, The City of Edinburgh Council
Jim Harries, Project Engineer, Transdev

Objector’s witnesses—

Graham Ireland, Finance Director, SRU
Mark Fisher, Director, CarlBro.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage . For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee
29 June 2005
9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 12.45 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Draft Preliminary Stage report (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Preliminary Stage report.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill at Preliminary Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.



D
I