Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.101/2005: Monday 20 June 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

A
D
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

The Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee
21 June 2005
9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 1

1. Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Consideration Stage Phase 1 –

Group 1 (Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd)

Promoter’s witnesses—

Malcolm Anderson, Co-ordinator, Mott MacDonald
David Ramsay, Network Rail Interface Manager, tie ltd
Andrew Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald
Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office
Richard Mansfield, Senior Engineer, Faber Maunsell Consulting Engineers

Objector’s witness—

Geoff Cook, Senior Route Planner, Network Rail Scotland

Group 2 (First ScotRail Ltd)

Promoter’s witnesses—

Geoff Duke, Project Manager, tie ltd
David Ramsay, Network Rail Interface Manager, tie ltd
Richard Mansfield, Senior Engineer, Faber Maunsell Consulting Engineers
Jim Harries, Project Engineer, Transdev Edinburgh Tram

Objector’s witness—

Neil Amner, Partner, Biggart Baillie Solicitors

Group 3 (BRB (Residuary) Ltd

Promoter’s witnesses—

Geoff Duke, Project Manager, tie ltd
Rahul W Bijlani, Lawyer, Bircham Dyson Bell, Solicitors & Parliamentary Agents

Objector’s witnesses—

Stephen Bennet, National Programmes Sponsor, Strategic Rail Authority (SRA)
Neil Amner, Partner, Biggart Baillie Solicitors

Group 4 (British Transport Police Force)

Promoter’s witness—

Rahul W Bijlani, Lawyer, Bircham Dyson Bell, Solicitors & Parliamentary Agents

Objector’s witness—

Neil Amner, Partner, Biggart Baillie Solicitors

Group 11 (Transco plc)

Promoter’s witness—

Tom Blackhall, Utilities Manager, tie ltd

Objector’s witness—

Alan Ross, Network Planning Manager, Transco plc

Group 9 (BAe Systems) Ltd

Promoter’s witnesses—

Andrew J Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald
Rahul W Bijlani, Lawyer, Bircham Dyson Bell, Solicitors & Parliamentary Agents

Objector’s witness—

Euan F S Pearson, Associate Director, Artireal Ltd

Group 16 (Stanley Casinos Ltd)

Promoter’s witnesses—

Mark M Bain, Senior Engineer, Mott MacDonald
Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie
Andrew J Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald
Steve Mitchell, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM)
Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald
Leo Eyles, Project Director, Associate of Steer Davies Gleave
Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office

Group 17 (ADM Milling Ltd)

Promoter’s witnesses—

Steve Mitchell, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM)
Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald
Mark M Bain, Senior Engineer, Mott MacDonald

2. Proposed Amendments to the Bill: The Committee will consider a paper from the promoter of the Bill.

3. Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider evidence taken during the day.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Procedures Committee
21 June 2005
9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 5

1. Sewel Convention: The Committee will consider further procedural and policy issues raised in the inquiry.

2. Review of Parliamentary Time: The Committee will finalise a remit for the inquiry based on preliminary consideration at a recent committee awayday.

3. Admissibility and closure of public petitions: The Committee will consider issues raised in correspondence with the Convener of the Public Petitions Committee and other minor issues relating to petitions.

4. Procedures relating to Crown appointees: The Committee will consider a paper outlining the main issues in the inquiry.

5. Items in private: The Committee will decide whether to consider draft reports on the Sewel Convention and on public petitions in private at subsequent meetings.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 13 September, the Committee will consider draft reports on the Sewel Convention and the Admissibility of Public Petitions inquiries. The Committee may also take oral evidence in relation to its inquiry on procedures relating to Crown appointees. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Equal Opportunities Committee
21 June 2005
10th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 2

1. Gypsy/Travellers - Review of progress: The Committee will hear evidence from—

Nadia Foy,
Janet McPhee,
Roseanna McPhee,
Sharon McPhee,
Fiona Townsley,
Kerrera Wilson, and
Andrew Ryder, The Gypsy and Traveller Law Reform Coalition.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider oral evidence from Johann Lamont MSP, Deputy Minister for Communities on Gypsy/Travellers - Review of progress.

The Committee will also continue its inquiry into disability. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
21 June 2005
21st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 7 and 8 in private.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill as amended at Stage 2.

3. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Transport (Scotland) Bill as amended at Stage 2.

4. Executive responses: The Committee will consider the following—

the Nitrate (Public Participation etc.) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/305);
the Charities (Designated Religious Bodies) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/306);
the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Variation of Schedule) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/308);
the Mental Health (Content and amendment of care plans) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/309);
the Mental Health (Content and amendment of Part 9 care plans) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/312);
the Student Loans (Information Requests, Maximum Threshold, Maximum Repayment Levels and Hardship Loans) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/314);
the Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/315);
the Genetically Modified Organisms (Transboundary Movements) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/316);
the Gaming Act (Variation of Fees) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/319);
the Prevention and Monitoring of Cetacean Bycatch (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/330); and
the Eggs (Marketing Standards) (Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/332).

5. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Edinburgh College of Art (Scotland) Order of Council 1995 (Amendment) Order of Council 2005, (SSI 2005/313);
the Products of Animal Origin (Third Country Imports) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/323);
the Cereal Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/328);
the Fodder Plant Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/329);
the National Health Service (Primary Medical Services Section 17C Agreements) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/336);
the National Health Service (General Medical Services Contracts) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/337);
the Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/338);
the Advice and Assistance (Scotland) Amendment (No.3) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/339);
the Pollution Prevention and Control (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/340);
the Education (Graduate Endowment, Student Fees and Support) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/341);
the Fire (Additional Function) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/342);
the Fire (Charging) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/343);
the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 (Consequential Modifications and Amendments) (No.2) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/344);
the Education (Student Loans) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/345);
the Public Service Vehicles (Registration of Local Services) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/346); and
the Scottish Administration (Offices) Order 2005, (SI 2005/1467).

6. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

the Water Services etc. (Scotland) Act 2005 (Commencement No.1 and Savings) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/351); and
the Education (Listed Bodies) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2005, (SSI 2005/354).

7. Inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland: The Committee will consider its draft phase 1 report.

8. Inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland: The Committee will consider an approach paper in relation to phase 2 of its inquiry.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue consideration of the approach to phase 2 of its inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Enterprise and Culture Committee
21 June 2005
15th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Inquiry into business growth: The Committee will take evidence from—

Dr Gary Crawley, Head of Research Frontiers Programme, Science Foundation Ireland;
John McGlynn, Chairman, Airlink Group, and founder member, Scotland House in Tallinn, Estonia.

2. Inquiry into reform of EU State aids: The Committee will consider a paper on the reform of EU State aids.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Electricity (Applications for Consent) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI/2005/295);
the Adam Smith College, Fife (Establishment) Order 2005, (SSI/2005/298);
the Falkirk College of Further and Higher Education (Change of Name) Order 2005, (SSI/2005/317).

Proposal for a seminar by the Committee of the Regions: The Committee will consider a request from Irene Oldfather MSP.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 June 2005, the Committee will continue to take evidence on its inquiry into business growth, consider a paper by its adviser on the inquiry and also consider issues emerging from evidence received so far. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee
21 June 2005
12th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent initiative: The Committee will take evidence from—

Lorna Clark, Head of Fresh Talent Initiative, Scottish Executive; and

As a panel

Simon Hodgson, Head of Policy Communications, Scottish Refugee Council;
Ali Jarvis, Interim Director, Commission for Racial Equality Scotland.

2. Inquiry into Scotland’s Preparations for and Contributions to the G8 Summit and the UK Presidency of the EU 2005: The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

3. Pre- and post-EU Council scrutiny: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU—

Forthcoming Councils

Environment Council, 24 June

Previous Councils

General Affairs and External Relations Council, 23-24 May
Education, Youth and Culture Council, 23-24 May
Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 30 May
Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council, 2-3 June

4. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

5. Convener’s Report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

Letter from Irene Oldfather MSP concerning the intention of the Commission on European Economic and Social Policy (ECOS) of the Committee or the Regions to hold a seminar in the Scottish Parliament; and
Letter from Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform, regarding the European Union Bill and the Minister’s appearance before the Committee to give evidence.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting in September, it is expected that the Committee will continue to consider evidence in its Fresh Talent Initiative inquiry.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee
21 June 2005
19th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 8, 9, 10 and 11 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Rhona Brankin MSP, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care, to move motion S2M-2895—

That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Dentists Act 1984 (Amendment) Order 2005 be approved.

3. Order made under the Scotland Act: The Committee will take evidence on the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 (Consequential Provisions) Order from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care.

4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Contaminants in Food (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/277);
the Food (Chilli, Chilli Products, Curcuma, and Palm Oil) (Emergency Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/294);
the Honey (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/307);
the Mental Health (Social Circumstances Reports) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/310);
the Regulation of Care (Social Service Workers) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/318);
the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/326);
the National Health Service (Pharmaceutical Services) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/327);
the National Health Service (Primary Medical Services Performers Lists) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/333);
the National Health Service (Service Committees and Tribunal) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/334); and
the National Health Service (Tribunal) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/335).

5. Evidence Session with Professor Kerr: The Committee will consider a paper from the Convener on a possible evidence session with Professor Kerr.

6. Petitions: The Committee will consider petition PE406 from Mrs Margaret Doig on post-mortem examinations.

7. Petitions: The Committee will consider its general approach to the consideration of petitions.

8. Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to oral evidence taking at Stage 1.

9. Abolition of Prescription Charges (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider its approach to oral evidence taking at Stage 1.

10. Care inquiry participation event: The Committee will consider possible venues for its participation event for its inquiry into the implementation of the Regulation of Care (Scotland) Act 2001 and the Community Care and Health (Scotland) Act 2002.

11. Scottish Haemophilia Forum Evidence Session: The Committee will consider correspondence on its postponed oral evidence session.

Proposed future business

The Committee expects to take evidence on the Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill and the Abolition of Prescription Charges (Scotland) Bill following the summer recess. The Committee is also planning to initiate an inquiry into the implementation of the Regulation of Care (Scotland) Act 2001 and the Community Care and Health (Scotland) Act 2002 later in the year. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee
21 June 2005
21st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/293); and
the Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Procedure Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/299)

2. Petitions: The Committee will consider the following petitions—

PE528 The Committee will consider a paper from the clerk on PE528 by MacRoberts Solicitors on behalf of Glasgow Airport Parking Association (GAPA) on airport car parking.
PE784 The Committee will consider a paper from the clerk on PE784 by Damian Pavillard on the removal of local authority powers to reclaim inwarranted council tax discounts; and
PE787 The Committee will consider a paper from the clerk on PE787 by Alastair Murdoch, on behalf of Scottish Action Against Council Tax, on the replacement of council tax with a system more closely related to the ability to pay.

3. Tendering of ferry Services in the Clyde and Hebrides: The Committee will consider a paper from the Convener.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on Tuesday 6 September, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the Council Tax Abolition and Service Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee expects to continue taking oral evidence on the Council Tax Abolition and Service Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill Committee
22 June 2005
8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Consideration Stage: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at consideration Stage from—

Group 8: New town, Broughton and Pilrig Community Council

Promoter’s witnesses—

Brian Evans, Partner, Gillespies llp
Aileen Grant, Principal Planner, City Development Department, The City of Edinburgh Council
Andrew J Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald
Steve Mitchell, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM)
Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie

Objector’s witnesses—

Alan Welsh, New town, Broughton and Pilrig Community Council
David Todd, Treasurer, Dublin Street Residents’ Association

Group 9: Scottish Rugby Union

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Aileen Grant, Principal Planner, City Development Department, The City of Edinburgh Council
Jim Harries, Project Engineer, Transdev

Objector’s witnesses—

Graham Ireland, Finance Director, SRU
Mark Fisher, Director, CarlBro

Group 17: Mr & Mrs R.J. & J.B. McLean

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office

Objector’s witnesses

John Kennedy, Cowan & Partners
Simon Dormer, John MacGregor & Co
Keith Watters, Graham & Sibbald
Roddy McLean, JB McLean Interiors

Groups 10–16 and 18–21: Vanguard Rental (UK) Ltd, Murrayfield Indoor Sports Club; Mr Frank Early: Stepgrades Motor Accessories Ltd/Viking International: Mr Mohammed Khalili: Collinson Ceramics; Mr W Kelly; Ms P Dewar; Mr B Ronald; MRM Coachworks: UGC Properties Ltd and Partco Ltd

Promoter witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office
Matthew Edgar, Director, Colliers CRE, Chartered Surveyors and Property Consultants
John Hyde, Fabermaunsell

Group 22: Jenners

Promoter witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Geoff Duke, Project Manager, (Tram Line 2)
John Hyde, Fabermaunsell

Group 23: Beauchamp

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram

2. Proposed route changes: The Committee will consider a paper by the clerk.

3. Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider evidence taken during the day.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee
22 June 2005
21st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 3

1. Work Programme: The Committee will decide whether to consider its work programme in private at its next meeting

2. Family Law (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 29 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue its consideration of the draft Stage 1 Report on the Family Law Bill and its work programme.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee
22 June 2005
13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Pupil motivation inquiry: The Committee will note reports on school visits and the roundtable discussion undertaken as part of its inquiry, consider the issues raised in the evidence to the Committee and agree the scope of its report. The Committee will also agree whether or not to consider its draft report in private.

2. Forward work programme: The Committee will note its autumn work timetable and hold preliminary discussions about its 2006 activities.

Proposed future business

The Committee’s next scheduled meeting will be after the recess on 7 September 2005 and it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on pupil motivation and subordinate legislation on additional support for learning.

At future meetings the Committee expects to finalise the pupil motivation inquiry and take evidence to inform its early years inquiry. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee
22 June 2005
19th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Inquiry into rural development: The Committee will take evidence from —

Panel 1

Professor Philip Lowe, Board Member, Countryside Agency;
Professor Mark Shucksmith, Professor of Planning, University of Newcastle‑upon‑Tyne;
Dr Dominic Moran, Senior Natural Resource Economist, Scottish Agricultural College;

Panel 2

Graham McKee, Senior Director of Network Operations, and Irene Walker, Director, Rural Relations, Scottish Enterprise;
Sandy Brady, Director of Strategy, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, and Stuart Black, Chief Executive, Inverness and Nairn Enterprise;
Wendy Bullard, Director of Area Network, and David Nicol, Area Director, Inverness, Communities Scotland;

Panel 3

Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Trades Union Congress;
Niall Stuart, Deputy Parliamentary Officer and Press Officer, Federation of Small Businesses;
Helen Betts-Brown, Assistant Director for Rural Affairs, Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations; and
Jonathan Hall, Head of Rural Policy, Scottish Rural Property and Business Association.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/278);
the Seed Potatoes (Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/279);
the Seed Potatoes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/280);
the Pesticides (Maximum Residue Levels in Crops, Food and Feeding Stuffs) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/281); and
the Registration of Fish Sellers and Buyers and Designation of Auction Sites (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/286).

Not before 11.45 am

4. Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill - UK Legislation: The Committee will consider the Scottish Executive’s proposal to seek the Parliament’s consent to the UK Parliament legislating on devolved matters in the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill, and take evidence from—

Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development.

5. Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill - UK Legislation: The Committee will consider the evidence received.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 June, the Committee will conclude taking evidence for the rural development inquiry with evidence from Scottish Ministers. At that meeting it will also take evidence from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development on priorities for the forthcoming UK Presidency of the EU. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
22 June 2005
11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE858 Protection of ancient woodland. Angela Douglas, Operations Director, Woodland Trust Scotland will make a brief statement in support of the petition, accompanied by Andrew Fairbairn and Flavia Pigot.
PE850 Renegotiation of the NUTS 11 boundaries with the European Commission, especially in relation to the South of Scotland. Andrew Wood will make a brief statement in support of his petition.
PE853 Services for children with special needs.
PE855 Maintenance of roads, pavements and footpaths.
PE864 Election of Mordechai Vanunu as Rector of the University of Glasgow.
PE868 Member-based community sports clubs – the right to buy.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE580 Combating solvent abuse. The Committee will consider the progress of this petition.
PE504 Publication of criminal memoirs. The Committee will consider a response from the Home Office.
PE585 Siting of Detox Units. The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Communities.
PE648 Provision of portable oxygen and pulmonary rehabilitation classes. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.
PE749 A moratorium on the spreading of sewage sludge pending a full inquiry into its safety. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development and Scottish Water.
PE764 Post Office Closures. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.
PE798 Provision of wheelchairs and specialist seating services. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning, the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care and the Royal Incorporation of Architects.
PE782 Modernising the treason Law. The Committee will consider responses from the Petitioner, the Scottish Law Commission and the Scottish Executive.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on Tuesday 28 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on the removal of tolls from the Erskine Bridge; post polio syndrome; court representation for limited companies; a ban on smoking in enclosed public places; rural school closures and G8 world poverty. The Committee is also expected to further consider current petitions on the establishment of a national bird for Scotland; a public inquiry into organ retention; funding for Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital; COAST’s proposals to close an area of Lamlash Bay to all forms of marine life extraction; the regulation of health professionals; the EU Common Fisheries Policy; mental health services for the deaf/deafblind and funding for therapeutic work initiatives.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee
22 June 2005
8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private and whether to consider its draft Preliminary Stage report in private at future meetings.

2. Consideration of late objections: The Committee will consider a paper on late objections to the Bill.

3. Preliminary consideration of objections: The Committee will consider a paper on the preliminary consideration of objections.

4. Draft Preliminary Stage report: The Committee will consider a draft Preliminary Stage report.

5. Oral evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will hear evidence from—

Nicol S tephen MSP, Minister for Transport, Scottish Executive; and
Damian Sharp, Public Transport Major Infrastructure Team, Scottish Executive.

6. Draft Preliminary Stage report: The Committee will further consider a draft Preliminary Stage report.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill at Preliminary Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

A
D
I