Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.90/2005: Friday 3 June 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

A
D
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Public Petitions Committee
6 June 2005
10th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Council Buildings, Wellington Square, Ayr

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE859 Petition by Sheena Borthwick calling for the upgrade of the Southern Section of the A77 between Ayr and Stranraer including providing passing places every six miles and developing a bypass at Maybole. Sheena Borthwick, Managing Director, West FM, West Sound and South West Sound FM, will make a brief statement in support of her petition accompanied by Alan Gordon, Director, Stena Line.

PE860 Petition by Marilyn de Blieck, on behalf of Ayrshire Voices, calling for a national policy in relation to the teaching of singing and provision of vocal tuition for young people in Scotland. Marilyn de Blieck will make a brief statement in support of her petition accompanied by Lauren Redmond.

PE861 Petition by Bob Leitch, on behalf of the Board of Directors of Ayrshire Chamber of Commerce calling for the creation of a task force to integrate and develop Burns’ properties resulting in a National Burns Heritage Trail. Bob Leitch, Chief Executive, Ayrshire Chamber of Commerce will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Jim Kerr.

PE839 Petition by Councillor Peter John Convery calling for clear guidance for local authorities on the use of moratorium to exclude telecommunication masts from being situated on council land. Councillor Convery will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Councillor Alistair Kerr.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE824 To review the Scottish Executive’s culture and tourism policies regarding Robert Burns and to ensurethe restoration and development of assets of the Burns heritage for the Homecoming Year in 2009. The Committee will consider responses from Sandra Osborne MP; National Trust for Scotland; South Ayrshire Council; Burns National Heritage Park and VisitScotland.

PE771, PE813 & PE821. Review of guidance to local authorities and planning proceduresto safeguard the provision of playing fields and recreational open space. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 22 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions concerning protection of ancient woodland; services for children with special needs; maintenance of roads, pavements and footpaths; NUTS 11 boundaries; rural school closures; and sports clubs – right to buy. The Committee is also expected to give further consideration to current petitions concerning criminal memoirs; the siting of detox units; portable oxygen; sewage sludge; Post Office closures; wheelchair provision; and the treason law.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Equal Opportunities Committee
7 June 2005
9th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 1

1. Disability inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider an approach paper.

Not before 10.30

2. Gypsy/Travellers – Review of progress: The Committee will hear evidence from—

Panel 1
Karen Carrick and Michelle Lloyd, Save the Children Scotland; and

Panel 2
Sandra Bruce and Bill Shanks, Aberdeen City Council;
David Cooper, Aberdeenshire Council;
Ron Ashton, Association of Local Authority Chief Housing Officers (ALACHO).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 21 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue to take oral evidence on Gypsy/Travellers - Review of progress.

The Committee will also continue its inquiry into disability. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee
7 June 2005
19th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 5 in private.

2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider the delegated powers provisions in the following bill—

Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill as amended at Stage 2.

3. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following—

the Dentists Act 1984 (Amendment) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/draft); and

the Right to Purchase (Prescribed Persons) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2005, (SSI 2005/275).

4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Contaminants in Food (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/277);

the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/278);

the Seed Potatoes (Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/279)

the Seed Potatoes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/280);

the Pesticides (Maximum Residue Levels in Crops, Food and Feeding Stuffs) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/281);

the Registration of Fish Sellers and Buyers and Designation of Auction Sites (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/286);

the Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/293);

the Food (Chilli, Chilli Products, Curcuma and Palm Oil) (Emergency Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/294); and

the Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Procedure Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/299).

5. Inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland: The Committee will consider a draft phase 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 14 June, it is expected that the Committee will further consider a draft report on its inquiry into the regulatory framework in Scotland . For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Standards and Public Appointments Committee
7 June 2005
5th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 11.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 4 and 5 in private.

2. Complaint against Jack McConnell MSP: The Committee will announce its decision at Stage 3 on a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

3. Complaint against Kenneth Macintosh MSP: The Committee will announce its decision at Stage 3 on a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.

4. Complaint against Jack McConnell MSP: The Committee will consider its draft report.

5. Complaint against Kenneth Macintosh MSP: The Committee will consider its draft report.

Proposed future business

The Committee expects to continue its review of the Code of Conduct for MSPs and its work on replacing the Members’ Interests Order at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

European and External Relations Committee
7 June 2005
11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent Initiative: The Committee will take evidence from—

As a panel
Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Trades Union Congress;
Dave Moxham, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Trades Union Congress;

Followed by
Robina Qureshi, Director, Positive Action in Housing;
David Reilly, Positive Action in Housing.

2. Pre- and post-EU Council scrutiny: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from the Scottish Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU—

Forthcoming Councils
General Affairs and External Relations Council, 13-14 June;
Agriculture and Fisheries, 20-21 June;
Environment Council, 24 June;
Transport, Telecommunications and Energy Council, 27-28 June; and

Previous Councils
Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 26 April.

3. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft legislation: The Committee will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative proposals received for this meeting.

4. Convener’s Report: The Convener will update the Committee on the—

Letter from the Scottish Executive regarding the Committee’s invitation to the First Minister to give evidence in its inquiry into the Fresh Talent initative

Letter from Alyn Smith MEP regarding the future financing of the European Union budget 2007-2013

Proposed future business

On 21 June, the Committee hopes to continue to take oral evidence in its Inquiry in to the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent Initiative. The Committee also expects to consider a response from the Scottish Executive on the Committee’s report on its Inquiry into Scotland’s Preparations for and Contribution to the G8 Summit and the UK Presidency of the EU 2005 and to consider a Sewel Memorandum on the UK Government’s European Union Bill. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee
7 June 2005
17th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 6 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (Appointment of Medical Commissioners) Regulations 2005 SSI 2005/261; and

the Mental Health (Conflict of Interest) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 SSI/2005/262.

3. Subordinate legislation: Rhona Brankin MSP, Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care, to move motion S2M-2874—

That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental Health (Safeguards for Certain Informal Patients) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

4. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 4).

5. Dentists Act 1984 (Amendment) Order 2005: The Committee will consider its approach to its consideration of the affirmative instrument.

6. Proposed Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a provisional approach to evidence gathering.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 14 June, the Committee will conclude consideration of the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2. Specifically, the Committee will complete Part 1, considering sections 1 to 6 on the prohibition of smoking in enclosed places. The Committee will also consider Part 6, section 37 on commencement.

The deadline for submission of amendments for this meeting is noon on Thursday 9 June. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee
7 June 2005
20th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 5

1. Accounts Commission: Overview of the local authority audits 2004: The Committee will take evidence from—

Alastair MacNish, Chairman, Accounts Commission;

Bill Magee, Secretary, Accounts Commission;

David Pia, Director of Performance Audit (Local Government), Accounts Commission;

Caroline Gardner, Deputy Auditor General and Controller of Audit, Audit Scotland; and

Gordon Smail, Senior Manager, Audit Scotland

2. Licensing (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 21 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider petitions.

The Committee expects to begin taking evidence on the Council Tax Abolition and Service Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee
8 June 2005
11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 2

1. Pupil Motivation inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1
Christina Allon, Director, Careers Scotland;
Eileen Carmichael, Development Officer, Learning and Teaching Scotland;
Diane Alexander, Head of Pre School and Primary, Learning and Teaching Scotland;

Panel 2
Bill Maxwell, HM Chief Inspector, HMIe; and

Panel 3
Peter Peacock, Minister for Education and Young People.

2. Pupil Motivation inquiry: The Committee will consider the issues raised in today’s evidence.

3. Draft report on the Additional Support for Learning draft Code of Practice: The Committee will consider a draft report on the Additional Support for Learning draft Code of Practice.

4. Finance and budget adviser: The Committee will consider whether to discuss the appointment of a finance and budget adviser in private at its next meeting.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting the Committee will consider the appointment of a finance and budget adviser. At its meeting of 22 June, it is planned to consider the issues to be included in its draft report on the Pupil Motivation inquiry. The report will be published in the autumn. The Committee is conducting an inquiry into early years education and childcare and will take evidence in the autumn. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



A
D
I