Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.88/2005: Wednesday 1 June 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
C
D
I

Section A – Today’s Business

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in the Scottish Parliament, unless otherwise specified. Contact details for Committee Clerks are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee
18th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 1

1. Family Law (Scotland ) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from the following witnesses—

Panel 1

Gary Strachan;

Panel 2

Alan Finlayson OBE, Child Law Consultant; and

Panel 3

Hugh Henry MSP, Deputy Minister for Justice;
Carole Duncan, Bill Team Leader, Scottish Executive;
Kirsty Finlay, Legal and Parliamentary Services, Scottish Executive; and
Louise Miller, European Union (EU) Justice and Home Affairs (JHA), International Action Team, Scottish Executive.

2. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Confirmation to Small Estates (Scotland) Order 2005, SSI 2005/251; and
the Prior Rights of Surviving Spouse (Scotland) Order 2005, SSI 2005/252.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee
7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 6

1. Consideration of late objections: The Committee will consider a paper on late objections to the Bill.

2. Preliminary consideration of objections: TheCommittee will consider a paper on the preliminary consideration of objections.

3. Oral evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Councillor David Parker, Leader of Scottish Borders Council;
Councillor Adam Montgomery, Leader of Midlothian Council; and
Councillor Keith McIntosh, Midlothian Council.

Panel 2

Allan Lundmark, Director of Planning and Communications, Homes for Scotland.

Panel 3

John Rae, General Manager of Operations (South East), Scottish Water; and
Atholl Duncan, Head of Corporate Affairs, Scottish Water.

Panel 4

Lesley Martin, Assistant Head of Planning and Implementation, Scottish Borders Council;
David Williamson, Head of Planning, Strategic Services, Midlothian Council; and
Paul McCartney, Senior Economist, Halcrow.

Panel 5

Councillor David Parker, Leader of Scottish Borders Council;
Councillor Adam Montgomery, Leader of Midlothian Council; and
Councillor Jim Muirhead, Midlothian Council.

Panel 6

Paul McCartney, Senior Economist, Halcrow;
Keith Wallace, Director of Projects, Scott Wilson Railways;
Lesley Martin, Assistant Head of Planning and Implementation, Scottish Borders Council; and
David Williamson, Head of Planning, Strategic Services, Midlothian Council.

4. Bill notification arrangements: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 7

Councillor David Parker, Leader of Scottish Borders Council; and
Councillor Adam Montgomery, Leader of Midlothian Council.

Panel 8

Ian Davis, Legal Director, Registers of Scotland; and
Mike Traynor, Information Director, Registers of Scotland.

Panel 9

Alison Gorlov, Parliamentary Agent, John Kennedy & Co;
David Fish, Principal Surveyor and Quality Manager, LandAspects; and
Ashley Parry Jones, Referencing Manager, LandAspects.

Education Committee
10th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the St Mary’s Music School (Aided Places) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/269); and

the Education (Assisted Places) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/270), and take evidence from—

Ben Haynes, Policy Adviser, Registrar of Independent Schools; and
Paul Wilson, Policy Adviser, Registrar of Independent Schools.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Additional Support for Learning (Appropriate Agency Request Period and Exceptions) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/264);
the Additional Support for Learning (Changes in School Education) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/265);
the Additional Support for Learning (Co-ordinated Support Plan) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI/2005/266); and
the Additional Support for Learning (Publication of Information) (Scotland) Regulations (SSI/2005/267), and take evidence from—

Robin McKendrick, Team Leader, Additional Support Needs Division;
Shona Pittilo, Policy Officer, Additional Support Needs Division; and
Louise Donnelly, Solicitor, Legal and Parliamentary Services.

3. Pupil motivation inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Una Chrystal, Operations Manager, Right Track;
Gary Daniel, Fairbridge in Scotland; and
Tom McGhee, Director, Spark of Genius.

Panel 2

Alan Locke, Senior Adviser, Education Support, Renfrewshire Council;
Kelly Bayes, Head of Policy, Aberlour Childcare Trust; and
Steve McCreadie, Service Manager, Crannog, Aberlour Childcare Trust.

4. Pupil motivation inquiry: The Committee will discuss the issues arising from today’s evidence.

Environment and Rural Development Committee
16th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 3 in private.

2. European issues: The Committee will consider an update from the Convener on European issues.

3. Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill - UK Legislation: The Committee will consider its approach to scrutiny of the Scottish Executive’s proposal to seek the Parliament’s consent to the UK Parliament legislating on devolved matters in the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill.

4. Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a further draft Stage 1 report.

Meeting of the Parliament

2.30 pm Time for Reflection – Mr Jim Campbell, National Prayer Breakfast for Scotland

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Ministerial Statement on Scotland and Africa

3.05 pm Local Government and Transport Committee Debate—

S2M-2854 Bristow Muldoon on behalf of the Committee: 4th Report 2005 (Session 2) of the Local Government and Transport Committee, Inquiry into Issues arising from the Transport (Scotland) Act 2001—That the Parliament notes the recommendations contained in the Local Government and Transport Committee’s 4th Report 2005 (Session 2): Inquiry into issues arising from the Transport (Scotland) Act 2001 (SP Paper 316).

followed by Business Motions

S2M-2888 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Business Motion—That the Parliament agrees the following programme of business—

Wednesday 8 June 2005

2.30 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Executive Debate: G8

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Thursday 9 June 2005

9.15 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party Business

11.40 am General Question Time

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time

2.15 pm Themed Question Time—

Environment and Rural Development;
Health and Community Care

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

2.55 pm Stage 3 Proceedings: Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Wednesday 15 June 2005

2.15 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body Question Time

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Final Stage: Baird Trust Reorganisation Bill

followed by Executive Business

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Thursday 16 June 2005

9.15 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Executive Business

11.40 am General Question Time

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time

2.15 pm Themed Question Time—

Justice and Law Officers;
Enterprise, Lifelong Learning and Transport

2.55 pm Executive Business

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

S2M-2890 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Change of Decision Time—That the Parliament agrees under Rule 11.2.4 of the Standing Orders that Decision Time on Thursday 2 June 2005 shall begin at 5.30 pm.

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

S2M-2889 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Approval of SSI—That the Parliament agrees that the draft Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business:

Debate on the subject of—

S2M-2615 Mike Watson: Protecting Land Used for Organised Sport and Other Forms of Physical Activity—That the Parliament notes with concern the continuing diminution in the number of sports pitches and open space across Scotland, despite the efforts of sportscotland and the National Playing Fields Association Scotland; believes that this will make it more difficult for the Scottish Executive to achieve its stated aim of improving the health of young people in Scotland and reducing levels of obesity; endorses the need, as expressed in the report of the Physical Activity Task Force, for all primary and secondary pupils to have a minimum of two hours each week of quality physical education, and considers that the Executive should ensure that more robust measures are introduced to the planning process to protect land used for organised sport and other forms of physical activity .



An
C
D
I