Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.87/2005: Tuesday 31 May 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Justice 1 Committee
1 June 2005
18th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 1

1. Family Law (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from the following witnesses—

Panel 1

Gary Strachan;

Panel 2

Alan Finlayson OBE, Child Law Consultant; and

Panel 3

Hugh Henry MSP, Deputy Minister for Justice.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Confirmation to Small Estates (Scotland) Order 2005, SSI 2005/251; and
the Prior Rights of Surviving Spouse (Scotland) Order 2005, SSI 2005/252.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider the oral evidence received as part of its consideration at Stage 1.

The Committee expects to continue to consider the Family Law (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1, at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee
1 June 2005
7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 6

1. Consideration of late objections: The Committee will consider a paper on late objections to the Bill.

2. Preliminary consideration of objections: TheCommittee will consider a paper on the preliminary consideration of objections.

3. Oral evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Councillor David Parker, Leader of Scottish Borders Council;
Councillor Adam Montgomery, Leader of Midlothian Council; and
Councillor Keith McIntosh, Midlothian Council.

Panel 2

Allan Lundmark, Director of Planning and Communications, Homes for Scotland.

Panel 3

John Rae, General Manager of Operations (South East), Scottish Water; and
Atholl Duncan, Head of Corporate Affairs, Scottish Water.

Panel 4

Lesley Martin, Assistant Head of Planning and Implementation, Scottish Borders Council;
David Williamson, Head of Planning, Strategic Services, Midlothian Council; and
Paul McCartney, Senior Economist, Halcrow.

Panel 5

Councillor David Parker, Leader of Scottish Borders Council;
Councillor Adam Montgomery, Leader of Midlothian Council; and
Councillor Jim Muirhead, Midlothian Council.

Panel 6

Paul McCartney, Senior Economist, Halcrow;
Keith Wallace, Director of Projects, Scott Wilson Railways;
Lesley Martin, Assistant Head of Planning and Implementation, Scottish Borders Council; and
David Williamson, Head of Planning, Strategic Services, Midlothian Council.

4. Bill notification arrangements: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 7

Councillor David Parker, Leader of Scottish Borders Council; and
Councillor Adam Montgomery, Leader of Midlothian Council.

Panel 8

Ian Davis, Legal Director, Registers of Scotland; and
Mike Traynor, Information Director, Registers of Scotland.

Panel 9

Alison Gorlov, Parliamentary Agent, John Kennedy & Co;
David Fish, Principal Surveyor and Quality Manager, LandAspects; and
Ashley Parry Jones, Referencing Manager, LandAspects.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill at Preliminary Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Education Committee
1 June 2005
10th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the St Mary’s Music School (Aided Places) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/269); and
the Education (Assisted Places) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/270), and take evidence from—

Ben Haynes, Policy Adviser, Registrar of Independent Schools; and
Paul Wilson, Policy Adviser, Registrar of Independent Schools

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Additional Support for Learning (Appropriate Agency Request Period and Exceptions) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/264);
the Additional Support for Learning (Changes in School Education) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/265);
the Additional Support for Learning (Co-ordinated Support Plan) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI/2005/266); and
the Additional Support for Learning (Publication of Information) (Scotland) Regulations (SSI/2005/267), and take evidence from—

Robin McKendrick, Team Leader, Additional Support Needs Division;
Shona Pittilo, Policy Officer, Additional Support Needs Division; and
Louise Donnelly, Solicitor, Legal and Parliamentary Services

3. Pupil motivation inquiry: The Committee will take evidence from—

Panel 1

Una Chrystal, Operations Manager, Right Track;
Gary Daniel, Fairbridge in Scotland; and
Tom McGhee, Director, Spark of Genius

Panel 2

Alan Locke, Senior Adviser, Education Support, Renfrewshire Council;
Kelly Bayes, Head of Policy, Aberlour Childcare Trust; and
Steve McCreadie,Service Manager, Crannog, Aberlour Childcare Trust

4. Pupil motivation inquiry: The Committee will discuss the issues arising from today’s evidence.

Proposed future business

At future meetings further evidence for the pupil motivation inquiry will be taken. The Committee is conducting an inquiry into early years education and childcare and will take evidence later in the year. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee
1 June 2005
16th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 3 in private.

2. European issues: The Committee will consider an update from the Convener on European issues.

3. Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill - UK Legislation: The Committee will consider its approach to scrutiny of the Scottish Executive’s proposal to see k the Parliament’s consent to the UK Parliament legislating on devolved matters in the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill.

4. Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a further draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 June, it is expected that the Committee will begin taking evidence at Phase 2 of its inquiry into rural development.

The Committee expects to continue taking evidence at Phase 2 of its inquiry into rural development at its subsequent meetings on 13 June in Brechin and on 22 and 29 June. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



An
I