Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.35/2005: Wednesday 2 March 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
C
D
I


Section A – Today’s Business

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in the Scottish Parliament, unless otherwise specified. Contact details for Committee Clerks are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Draft Scottish Planning Policy (SPP) 16: Opencast Coal: The Committee will take evidence on the Executive’s draft planning guidance on the working of opencast coal from—

Panel 1

Duncan McLaren, Chief Executive, Friends of the Earth Scotland

Panel 2

Ann Coleman, Co-opted Member, Greengairs Community Council and Secretary, Greengairs Environmental Forum

Lindsay Addison, Chair and Thomas Cronin, Douglas Community Council (incorporating Glespin and surrounding areas) and Henry Thomson, Glespin Community Group

Lawrence Fitzpatrick, Convenor and Dr John Munro, Scotland Opposing Opencast (SOOT)

Panel 3

David Brewer, Director General, Confederation of UK Coal Producers (CoalPro)

Niall Crabb, Director, Scottish Coal

Ian Wilson, Director of Mining, Project and Property, Coal Authority

Panel 4

Martin Gaughan, Acting Regional Secretary, Transport and General Workers’ Union (TGWU) Scotland

Nicky Wilson, Scottish General Secretary, National Union of Miners (NUM): Scottish Area

Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC)

Panel 5

Richard Hartland, Chair of Development Control Committee, Scottish Society of Directors of Planning (SSDP)

Councillor James Kelly, Chair of Housing and Hugh Melvin, Principal Planning Officer, East Ayrshire Council.

Justice 1 Committee

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Offences (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on the Bill at Stage 1.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Subordinate legislation: Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development, to move S2M-2405—

That the Environment and Rural Development Committee recommends that the draft Landfill Allowances Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

2. Subordinate legislation: Andrew Welsh MSP to move motion S2M-2380—

That the Environment and Rural Development Committee recommends that nothing further be done under the Conservation of Salmon (Esk Salmon Fishery District) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/24).

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments:

the Conservation of Salmon (River Annan Salmon Fishery District) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/37);

the Antisocial Behaviour (Noise Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/43);

the Domestic Water and Sewerage Charges (Reduction) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/53), and

the Water Services Charges (Billing and Collection) (Scotland) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/54).

Not before 11.45am

4. Inquiry into climate change: The Committee will take evidence from

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform;

Nicol Stephen MSP, Minister for Transport, and

Allan Wilson MSP, Deputy Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning.

Public Petitions Committee

4th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE819 Implications of the proposed ban on smoking in public places for the hospitality industry and the alternative progressive route to smoke free provision in hospitality venues. Paul Waterson will speak in support of this petition accompanied by Stuart Ross and Patrick Browne.

PE817 Reform of the law of trust where a trust is set up for the benefit of any local community.

PE821 Planning consent to change the usage of recreational spaces. Elaine Black will speak in support of these petitions accompanied by Mr Bill Mann, Secretary of the Western Baths Club and Mr Ewan Kennedy, Solicitor.

PE814 Implications for rural areas of the introduction of NHS24 services, particularly in relation to ambulance cover and timescales in getting medical assistance to patients in these areas.

PE815 Review of distribution of Education Maintenance Allowance payments.

2. Current petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE726 The Electoral Commission’s role in Scottish local government elections. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE743 Services for adults with learning disabilities living at home. The Committee will consider responses from the petitioner and the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care.

PE747 School holidays. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE760 Provision of electricity for Gypsy/Traveller sites and accessibility to central heating and warm deal programmes for people in mobile homes. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Communities, Energywatch, COSLA and the Eaga Partnership.

PE764 Post Office Closures. The Committee will consider responses from Postwatch Scotland; Royal Mail; the Scottish Executive; Disability Rights Commission; Help the Aged and Age Concern.

PE767 Review of the operation and effectiveness of the Fatal Accidents and Sudden Deaths Inquiry (Scotland) Act 1976. The Committee will consider responses from the Lord Advocate, Law Society of Scotland, Scottish Law Commission and the Minister for Justice.

PE773 Cardiomyopathy Screening. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive, Cardiomyopathy Association, British Heart Foundation and the National Advisory Committee on Coronary Heart Disease and sportscotland.

PE778 Upgrading the Laurencekirk/Marykirk junction on the A90. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Transport, Royal Society of the Prevention of Accidents, Scottish Accident Prevention Council, Aberdeenshire Council and EuroRAP.

Education Committee

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1).

Meeting of the Parliament

2.30 pm Time for Reflection – Rev Fraser Aitken, Church of Scotland, Ayr

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Stage 1 Debate: Transport (Scotland) Bill—

S2M-2351 Nicol Stephen: Transport (Scotland) Bill—That the Parliament agrees to the general principles of the Transport (Scotland) Bill.

followed by Financial Resolution in respect of the Transport (Scotland) Bill—

S2M-2338 Mr Tom McCabe: Transport (Scotland) Bill: Financial Resolution—That the Parliament, for the purposes of any Act of the Scottish Parliament resulting from the Transport (Scotland) Bill, agrees to—

(a) any expenditure of a kind referred to in paragraph 3(b)(ii) of Rule 9.12 of the Parliament’s Standing Orders;

(b) any increase in expenditure of a kind referred to in paragraph 3(b)(iii) of that Rule; and

(c) any payments in relation to which paragraph 4 of that Rule applies, arising in consequence of the Act.

followed by Preliminary Stage Debate: Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill—

S2M-2459 Jackie Baillie: Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill - Preliminary Stage—That the Parliament agrees to the general principles of the Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill and that the Bill should proceed as a Private Bill.

followed by Business Motion—

S2M-2503 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Business Motion—That the Parliament agrees the following programme of business—

Wednesday 9 March 2005

2.30 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Stage 1 Debate: Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill

followed by Financial Resolution: Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business – Debate on the subject of S2M-1900 Margaret Mitchell: Deafblindness

Thursday 10 March 2005

9.30 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Scottish National Party Business

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time

2.00 pm Question Time—

Enterprise, Lifelong Learning and Transport;

Justice and Law Officers;

General Questions

3.00 pm Executive Debate: Infrastructure Investment Plan

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Wednesday 16 March 2005

2.30 pm Time for Reflection

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Committee Business

followed by Business Motion

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

Thursday 17 March 2005

9.30 am Parliamentary Bureau Motions

followed by Conservative Party Business

12 noon First Minister’s Question Time

2.00 pm Question Time—

Education and Young People, Tourism, Culture and Sport;

Finance and Public Services and Communities;

General Questions

3.00 pm Executive Business

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business

followed by Parliamentary Bureau Motions

S2M-2490 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Approval of SSI—That the Parliament agrees that the draft Scotland Act 1998 (Modifications of Schedule 5) (No.2) Order 2005 be approved.

S2M-2491 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Approval of SSI—That the Parliament agrees that the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning) (West Coast) (No.2) (Scotland) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/69) be approved.

S2M-2492 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Approval of SSI—That the Parliament agrees that the draft Budget (Scotland) Act 2004 Amendment Order 2005 be approved.

S2M-2494 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Designation of Lead Committee—That the Parliament agrees that the Justice 2 Committee be designated as lead committee in consideration of the Police (Retention and Disposal of Motor Vehicles) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/80).

S2M-2495 Ms Margaret Curran on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau: Referral at Stage 1—That the Parliament agrees that the Local Government and Transport Committee be designated as lead committee, and that the Justice 2 Committee be designated as secondary committee, in consideration of the Licensing (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

5.00 pm Decision Time

followed by Members’ Business:

Debate on the subject of—

S2M-2387 Christine May: Fairtrade Fortnight—That the Parliament recognises that Fairtrade Fortnight will take place between 1 and 13 March 2005; supports this important series of events in raising awareness of the need to provide workers and producers in Third World countries with a better deal in return for their produce; congratulates the growing number of towns and organisations which have succeeded in achieving the Fairtrade mark; notes that more Fairtrade products are being bought by individuals and used within businesses, and encourages all MSPs and consumers to participate in these events which will help protect the livelihood of small farmers and producers who too often face exploitation.



An
C
D
I