Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.33/2005: Monday 28 February 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
D
I


Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Finance Committee

1 March 2005

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 2

1. Scottish Parliament Holyrood Building: The Committee will consider correspondence from the Presiding Officer and take evidence from—

Paul Grice, Clerk and Chief Executive; Paul Curran, Project Head, Holyrood Project Team; and Dave Ferguson, Holyrood Project Adviser, Scottish Parliament; Robert Brown, MSP, Member, Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body.

2. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Financial Memorandum from—

Panel 1

Sarah Davidson, Head of Tobacco Control Division, David Palmer, Team Leader, Legislation Implementation Team and Calum Scott, Economic Adviser, Analytical Services, Scottish Executive Health Department

Panel 2

Roderick Duncan, Bill Team Leader, Tobacco Control Division, Dr Hamish Wilson, Head of Primary Care Division, Eric Gray, Primary Care Division, Team Leader, Dental and Ophthalmic Services and Chris Naldrett, Primary Care Division, Team Leader, Pharmacy Issues Team, Scottish Executive Health Department.

3. Relocation of Public Sector Jobs: The Committee will consider issues for inclusion in its response to the Executive on the Relocation Guide.

4. Cross-cutting review on Economic Development (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on its cross-cutting review on economic development.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider its approach to the scrutiny of Financial Memoranda; consider a briefing paper on the Executive’s trend series data and continue its consideration of a draft report on its Cross-cutting review of Economic Development.

The Committee expects to consider its response to the Executive on the Relocation Guide and take evidence on various Bills at subsequent meetings. The Committee will also carry out an inquiry into Deprivation later in the year. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Procedures Committee

1 March 2005

3rd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.15 am in Committee Room 1

1. Sewel Convention: The Committee will take evidence from—

Rt Hon Henry McLeish,

and then from—

Lord Sewel.

2. Commissioner for Public Appointments: The Committee will consider draft standing order changes.

At around 12.30pm:

3. Sewel Convention: The Committee will take evidence from—

Mrs Anne McGuire MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, David Crawley, Head of Department, and Hugo Deadman, Head of Consultation Policy Branch, Scotland Office

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 15 March, the Committee will take further evidence on the Sewel Convention from Committee conveners and from Westminster MPs. It will also further consider issues relating to Private Bills, including considering a report by a group of Parliament and Executive officials. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Subordinate Legislation Committee

1 March 2005

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 3

1. Executive responses: The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive to points raised on the following—

the Less Favoured Area Support Scheme (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/64);

the Possession of Pesticides (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/66); and

the Annual Close Time (Esk Salmon Fishery District) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/72).

2. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the following—

the Potatoes Originating in the Netherlands (Notification) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/73);

the Potatoes Originating in the Netherlands (Scotland) Revocation Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/74);

the Police (Retention and Disposal of Motor Vehicles) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/80); and

the Poultry Meat, Farmed Game Bird Meat and Rabbit Meat (Hygiene and Inspection) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/81).

3. Instruments not laid before the Parliament: The Committee will consider the following—

Act of Sederunt (Fees in the National Archives of Scotland) 2005, (SSI 2005/77).

The Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee

1 March 2005

4th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 12.15 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Consideration of late objection: The Committee will consider a paper on a late objection to the Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill.

Proposed future business

The Committee’s Preliminary Stage report is being debated by the Parliament on 2 March. If the Parliament agrees to the general principles of the Bill and that the Bill should proceed as a Private Bill, the Committee will begin its Consideration Stage proceedings in due course. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Enterprise and Culture Committee

1 March 2005

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 1

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 5 and 6 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: Mr Allan Wilson, Deputy Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning, to move motion S2M-2403—

that the Enterprise and Culture Committee recommends that the draft Renewables Obligation (Scotland) Order 2005 be approved.

3. Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 2).

4. Scottish Rugby Union: The Committee will consider issues arising from its recent meeting with a range of representatives from Scottish rugby.

5. Advisers: The Committee will consider possible candidates for the post of adviser for its inquiry into business growth and its inquiry into EU state aids.

6. Review of Area Tourist Boards: The Committee will consider a draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider any issues it may wish to raise as part of the Procedures Committee inquiry into the Sewel Convention. The Committee also expects to consider issues in relation to its Reporters inquiry into Scottish football.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Health Committee

1 March 2005

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 4, 5 and 6 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument—

the Food (Pistachios from Iran) (Emergency Control) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/70)

3. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from—

Part 4 Discipline

Stewart Scott, Chair, Borders Local Health Council

Margo Biggs, Member, Forth Valley Local Health Council

Alex Matthewson, North Branch Representative, BDA Scottish Council

Dr David Love, Deputy Chairman, BMA Scotland

Hal Rollason, Chairman, Optometry Scotland

Angela Timoney, Chairman, Scottish Executive, Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain

Dr Hamish Wilson, Head of Primary Care Division, Scottish Executive Health Department

John Davidson, Workforce and Policy Division, General Medical Services Team, Scottish Executive Health Department

Part 5 Infection with hepatitis C as a result of NHS treatment

Panel 1

Philip Dolan, Chairman, Scottish Haemophilia Forum

Dave Bissett, Vice-Chairman, Scottish Haemophilia Forum

Frank McGuire, Legal Adviser, Scottish Haemophilia Forum

Panel 2

Peter Stevens, Chairman, Skipton Fund

Keith Foster, Scheme Administrator, Skipton Fund.

4. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the main themes arising from the evidence session.

5. Eating disorders inquiry: The Committee will consider a draft report.

6. Workforce planning chamber event: The Committee will consider practical arrangements for the event.

Proposed future business

At its next meetings on 8, 15 and 22 March, the Committee will continue to take evidence as part of its Stage 1 consideration of the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 2 Committee

1 March 2005

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Youth Justice Inquiry (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider subordinate legislation on Civil Legal Aid, Advice and Assistance (Financial Conditions) and Advice and Assistance (Assistance by Way of Representation); and consider a response to the Procedures Committee Inquiry on the Sewel Convention.

The Committee expects to give further consideration to the draft Youth Justice Inquiry report. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee

1 March 2005

8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 6

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

The Parking Attendants (Wearing of Uniforms) (South Lanarkshire Council Parking Area) (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/35); and

The Valuation for Rating (Decapitalisation Rate) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/41).

2. Prostitution Tolerance Zones (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Hugh Henry, MSP, Deputy Minister for Justice; and

Micheline Brannan, Head of Group, Criminal Justice Group, Scottish Executive

Panel 2

Sandra Hood, Chair, Scottish Executive Working Group on Prostitution; and

Kirsten Davidson, Criminal Justice Division, Scottish Executive

Panel 3

Margo Macdonald MSP.

3. The proposed Licensing (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the remit of its adviser on the proposed Bill.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 8 March, it is expected that the Committee will take oral evidence on the Tendering of Ferry Services in the Clyde and Hebrides.

The Committee expects to continue to take evidence on the Tendering of Ferry Services in the Clyde and Hebrides at subsequent meetings. The Committee also anticipates taking evidence on Trunk Road Maintenance Contracts at future meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Communities Committee

2 March 2005

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Draft Scottish Planning Policy (SPP) 16: Opencast Coal: The Committee will take evidence on the Executive’s draft planning guidance on the working of opencast coal from—

Panel 1

Duncan McLaren, Chief Executive, Friends of the Earth Scotland;

Panel 2

Ann Coleman, Co-opted Member, Greengairs Community Council and Secretary, Greengairs Environmental Forum;

Lindsay Addison, Chair of Douglas Community Council (incorporating Glespin and surrounding areas);

Lawrence Fitzpatrick, Convenor and Dr John Munro, Scotland Opposing Opencast (SOOT);

Panel 3

David Brewer, Director General, Confederation of UK Coal Producers (CoalPro);

Niall Crabb, Director, Scottish Coal;

Ian Wilson, Director of Mining, Project and Property, Coal Authority;

Panel 4

Martin Gaughan, Acting Regional Secretary, Transport and General Workers’ Union (TGWU) Scotland;

Nicky Wilson, Scottish General Secretary, National Union of Miners (NUM): Scottish Area;

Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC);

Panel 5

Richard Hartland, Chair of Development Control Committee, Scottish Society of Directors of Planning (SSDP);

Councillor James Kelly, Chair of Housing and Hugh Melvin, Principal Planning Officer, East Ayrshire Council.

Proposed future business

At its meeting on 9 March, it is expected that the Committee will take evidence from the Deputy Minister for Communities on the Executive’s Draft Scottish Planning Policy (SPP) 16: Opencast Coal and consider the Housing Support Grant (Scotland) Order 2005.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee

2 March 2005

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 5

1. Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Offences (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report on the Bill at Stage 1.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 9 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider subordinate legislation on European Communities (Matrimonial and Parental Responsibility Jurisdiction and Judgements) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/42).

At subsequent meetings, the Committee will consider its approach to and hear oral evidence on the Family Law (Scotland) Bill. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

2 March 2005

7th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 6

1. Subordinate legislation: Lewis Macdonald MSP (Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development) to move S2M-2405 – That the Environment and Rural Development Committee recommends that the draft Landfill Allowances Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

2. Subordinate legislation: Andrew Welsh MSP to move motion S2M-2380 —That the Environment and Rural Development Committee recommends that nothing further be done under the Conservation of Salmon (Esk Salmon Fishery District) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/24).

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments:

the Conservation of Salmon (River Annan Salmon Fishery District) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/37);

the Antisocial Behaviour (Noise Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/43);

the Domestic Water and Sewerage Charges (Reduction) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/53), and

the Water Services Charges (Billing and Collection) (Scotland) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/54).

Not before 11.45am

4. Inquiry into climate change: The Committee will take evidence from

Tom McCabe MSP, Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform;

Nicol Stephen MSP, Minister for Transport, and

Allan Wilson MSP, Deputy Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 9 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on its climate change inquiry (in private) and subordinate legislation.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee

2 March 2005

4th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

  1. New petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

  2. PE819 Implications of the proposed ban on smoking in public places for the hospitality industry and the alternative progressive route to smoke free provision in hospitality venues. Paul Waterson will speak in support of this petition accompanied by Stuart Ross and Patrick Browne.

    PE817 Reform of the law of trust where a trust is set up for the benefit of any local community.

    PE821 Planning consent to change the usage of recreational spaces. Elaine Black will speak in support of these petitions accompanied by Mr Bill Mann, Secretary of the Western Baths Club and Mr Ewan Kennedy, Solicitor.

    PE814 Implications for rural areas of the introduction of NHS24 services, particularly in relation to ambulance cover and timescales in getting medical assistance to patients in these areas.

    PE815 Review of distribution of Education Maintenance Allowance payments.

  3. Current petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE726 The Electoral Commission’s role in Scottish local government elections. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE743 Services for adults with learning disabilities living at home. The Committee will consider responses from the petitioner and the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care.

PE747 School holidays. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE760 Provision of electricity for Gypsy/Traveller sites and accessibility to central heating and warm deal programmes for people in mobile homes. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Communities, Energywatch, COSLA and the Eaga Partnership.

PE764 Post Office Closures. The Committee will consider responses from Postwatch Scotland; Royal Mail; the Scottish Executive; Disability Rights Commission; Help the Aged and Age Concern.

PE767 Review of the operation and effectiveness of the Fatal Accidents and Sudden Deaths Inquiry (Scotland) Act 1976. The Committee will consider responses from the Lord Advocate, Law Society of Scotland, Scottish Law Commission and the Minister for Justice.

PE773 Cardiomyopathy Screening. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive, Cardiomyopathy Association, British Heart Foundation and the National Advisory Committee on Coronary Heart Disease and sportscotland.

PE778 Upgrading the Laurencekirk/Marykirk junction on the A90. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Transport, Royal Society of the Prevention of Accidents, Scottish Accident Prevention Council, Aberdeenshire Council and EuroRAP.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 16 March, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on Culture and Tourism policies regarding Robert Burns; the current system for dealing with convicted child sex offenders and support for people with learning disabilities.

It is also expected that the Committee will give further consideration to current petitions on blood tests at the request of assault victims; Glasgow airport parking; past institutional child abuse; Govan community; planning control in relation to the spreading of sewage sludge; displaying Judge’s names and recording court proceedings; and supermarkets and the food chain.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee

2 March 2005

6th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4

1. Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 1).

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 9 March, it is expected that the Committee will continue to consider Stage 2 of the Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill.

The Committee will continue work on its pupil motivation and early years inquiries at subsequent meetings. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



An
D
I