Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.8/2005: Tuesday 18 January 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
G


Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

Communities Committee

19 January 2005

2nd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a paper on witness expenses.

2. Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 from—

Panel 1

Martin Meteyard, Chair, Co-operation and Mutuality Scotland;

Mark Ewing, Voluntary board member, Link Group Limited;

Panel 2 – National Collections Institutions

Dr Gordon Rintoul, Director, National Museums of Scotland;

Martyn Wade, National Librarian, National Library of Scotland;

Michael Clarke, Director of the National Gallery of Scotland, National Galleries of Scotland;

Panel 3

David Caldwell, Director, Universities Scotland;

Tom Kelly, Chief Executive, Association of Scottish Colleges;

Panel 4

Mike Gilbert, Chairman of Charities Working Party, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland;

Fraser Falconer, Chair of Committee on Charity Law Reform, Scottish Grant Making Trust Group.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 January, the Committee will continue to take evidence on the Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.

Local Government and Transport Committee

19 January 2005

3rd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Subordinate legislation: Tavish Scott MSP, Deputy Minister for Finance and Public Services, to move motion S2M-2198—

that the Local Government and Transport Committee recommends that the draft Council Tax (Discount for Unoccupied Dwellings) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 be approved.

2. Railways Bill - UK Legislation (in private): The Committee will receive a briefing from its adviser.

3. Railways Bill - UK Legislation: The Committee will take evidence from the Minister for Transport on the following motion—

S2M-2244 Nicol Stephen: Railways Bill – UK Legislation— That the Parliament agrees that those provisions that confer executive powers and functions on the Scottish Ministers in the Railways Bill and those that relate to devolved matters should be considered by the UK Parliament.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 25 January it is expected that the Committee will consider its approach to both the Council Tax Abolition and Service Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill and the Prostitution Tolerance Zones (Scotland) Bill.

At subsequent meetings, the Committee expects to consider the possible contents of both its report on the Transport (Scotland) Bill and its report on its inquiry into the Transport (Scotland) Act 2001. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee

19 January 2005

2nd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 4

1. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the General Teaching Council for Scotland Election Scheme 2004 Approval Order (SSI 2004/542) under negative procedure and take evidence from—

John Gunstone, Teachers Division, Scottish Executive Education Department

Diane Lovie, Teachers Division, Scottish Executive Education Department.

2. Proposed early years inquiry: The Committee will take evidence to inform its consideration of the proposed early years inquiry from—

Val Cox, Head of Division, Early Years Education and Childcare

Penny Curtis, Head of Branch, Workforce Development

Elena Groll, Head of Branch, Children and Family Support.

3. Proposed early years inquiry: The Committee will consider draft terms of reference for its inquiry.

4. Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a final draft Stage 1 Report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 January, it is expected that the Committee will note the annual reports from relevant non-departmental public bodies and agree its approach to its early years inquiry. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee

19 January 2005

1st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE798 Provision of wheelchairs and specialist seating services. Margaret Scott will make a brief statement in support of her petition accompanied by Catherine Mathieson and John Colvin.

PE801 Establishment of a National Heritage Committee and the protection of Cramond. Ronald Guild will make a brief statement in support of his petition.

PE802 Regulation of health professionals. Mark Russell will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied by Jackie Bagley.

PE795 Retention of the current 8 fire controls in Scotland.

PE797 Recognition for Ian Steel, cyclist.

PE800 A public inquiry into windfarm construction.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE482 Compulsory blood testing of suspects. The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Justice.

PE695 Affordable, accessible local transport for disabled people. The Committee will consider responses from the petitioner, Disability Rights Commission and Scottish Disability Equality Forum.

PE698 A national policy for travelling showpeople. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE716 Replacing the Grampian Regional Council (Harbours) Order Confirmation Act 1987 with equitable legislation. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE723 Dedicated equine industry team within the Scottish Executive. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE727 Immediate suspension of tolls on the A87 between the Isle of Skye and mainland Scotland. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE735 Responsibility for the design and provision of health services in the North Clyde area.

PE772 Cross-boundary working in the interests of patient care.

The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Health & Community Care.

PE738 Maximum permitted levels as part of the Food Supplements Directive. The Committee will consider a response from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community care.

PE765 Retention of the current 8 fire controls in Scotland. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive and the Chief and Assistant Chief Fire Officers Association.

3. Re-submission of petitions: The Committee will consider a paper from the Clerk.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on Wednesday 2 February, it is expected that the Committee will consider petitions on: Community hospitals; National Parks (Scotland) Bill; Planning permission for 96ft GSM-R communication masts in residential areas; Inquiry into the influence of supermarkets on the food chain; the fishing industry; Amendment to the Scottish Parliament’s Standing Orders relating to text of public petitions; Council petitions; Egg stamping; Scottish Legal Aid Board; Treason Law; Livestock scheme; Scottish Public Services Ombudsman, and Complementary Medicine. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

The Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill Committee

19 January 2005

1st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 3

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 2 in private and whether to consider its draft Preliminary Stage report in private at future meetings.

2. Draft Preliminary Stage report: The Committee will consider its draft Preliminary Stage report.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill at Preliminary Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee

19 January 2005

2nd Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.45 am in Committee Room 5

1. Proposed Liability for Release of Genetically Modified Organisms (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a statement of reasons for not consulting on the draft proposal and may take evidence from—

Mr Mark Ruskell MSP.

2. Proposed Plastic Bag Environmental Levy Bill: The Committee will consider a statement of reasons for not consulting on the draft proposal and may take evidence from—

Mike Pringle MSP; and

David Cullum, Non-Executive Bills Unit, the Scottish Parliament.

3. European issues: The Committee will consider an update from the Convener on European issues.

Not before 11:30am

4. Luxembourg Presidency of the European Union and the priorities of the Scottish Executive: The Committee will take evidence on the priorities of the Scottish Executive as they relate to the Environment and Rural Development portfolio from—

Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 26 January, the Committee will begin taking oral evidence on its inquiry into climate change.

The Committee will continue to take evidence on this inquiry at subsequent meetings during February 2005. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.



An
G