BB Home

Contents
Announcements
A : Daily Business List
B : Business Programme
C : Agendas of Committee Meetings
E : Written questions lodged
F : Motions and Amendments
G : Bills: Notices and Amendments
H : New Documents
K : Progress of Parliamentary Business

Business Bulletin No. 80 / 2004

Wednesday 12th may 2004

Section A : Daily Business List

  

Meetings of Committees

All meetings take place in Committee Chambers, Edinburgh unless otherwise indicated.

Education Committee

14th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 1

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. School Education (Ministerial Powers and Independent Schools) (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will take evidence from-

Margaret Doran, Association of Directors of Education in Scotland, Anna Fowlie, Rev. Ewan Aitken, COSLA;

Colin Mair, President, Alex Easton, Council Member, Headteachers' Association of Scotland;

Judith Sischy, Director, Scottish Council of Independent Schools; and

Not before 2.00 pm

Peter Peacock, Minister for Education and Young People, Euan Robson, Deputy Minister for Education and Young People, Colin Reeves, Rachel Edgar, Scottish Executive.

3. School Education (Ministerial Powers and Independent Schools) (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider emerging themes from the evidence it has taken on the Bill.

4. Work programme: The Committee will consider its work programme.

5. Budget process 2005-06: The Committee will consider a final draft report to the Finance Committee.

Communities Committee

18th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Budget process 2005-06 (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument-

the Home Energy Efficiency Scheme Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (SSI 2004/188).

3. Antisocial Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 4).

Environment and Rural Development Committee

13th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. Organic Action Plan: The Committee will take evidence on the progress of the Organic Action Plan from Allan Wilson MSP (Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development).

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instrument-

the Special Waste Amendment (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2004 (SSI/2004/204).

3. Budget process 2005-06 (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

4. Inquiry into the implementation of CAP Reform (in private): The Committee will consider a draft report.

Justice 1 Committee

20th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Hub, Castlehill, Edinburgh

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 3 in private and whether to consider in private, at forthcoming meetings, a draft report in respect of motion S2M-1202 on the Civil Partnership Bill - UK legislation.

2. Civil Partnership Bill - UK legislation: The Committee will take evidence from-

Morag Driscoll, Convener, and John Fotheringham, Vice Convener, Family Law Sub-committee, and Michael Clancy, Director, and Sarah Fleming, Head of International Relations, Law Reform Department, the Law Society of Scotland;

Professor Kenneth Norrie, Head of the Law School, University of Strathclyde; and

Hugh Henry, Deputy Minister for Justice; Claire Monaghan, Head of Family Law Team, Kirsty Finlay, Senior Principal Legal Officer, and Louise Miller, Head of Private International Law Branch, Scottish Executive, and Paul Parr, Deputy Registrar General, General Register Office for Scotland.

3. Civil Partnership Bill - UK legislation: The Committee will consider its approach to its draft report in respect of the motion on the Bill.

Public Petitions Committee

8th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in the Hub, Castlehill, Edinburgh

1. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions-

PE735 Provision of health services in the North Clyde area. Ms Dance will make a brief statement in support of her petition, accompanied by Mr David Bruce and Mr David Morrell.

PE736 Impact on locality when licences are granted for 'Houses of Multiple Occupation'. Mr Stay will make a brief statement in support of his petition, accompanied by Mrs Susan Agnew, Secretary of the Marchmont/Sciennes Community Council.

PE737 Solemnisation of a Civil Partnership in Scotland by a minister of religion. Mr Harte will make a brief statement in support of his petition, accompanied by Mrs Rosemary Street.

PE721 Authoritative guidelines in relation to provisions contained in the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001.

PE724 Review of Scottish Executive policy on green belt sites.

PE728 Inquiry into the health aspects of TETRA and a call for an immediate moratorium on the system.

PE729 Conference on autism treatments.

3. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions-

PE535 Call for an inquiry into institutional child abuse. The Committee will consider possible forms of action in relation to the issues raised.

PE601 Solicitors' monopoly on paid court representation. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive in relation to the issues raised.

PE628 Display and storage of Scotland's archives in local areas. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive and Scottish Borders Council in relation to the issues raised.

PE691 Forestry Commission guidance on consultations. The Committee will consider a response from the Forestry Commission in relation to the issues raised.

PE692 Responsibilities of the Scottish Traffic Commissioner. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive in relation to the issues raised.

PE695 Ensuring accessible and affordable local transport. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive in relation to the issues raised.

PE697 Legal standing for census forms. The Committee will consider a response from the General Register Office in relation to the issues raised.

PE699 sportscotland policy on funding for talented athletes. The Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive and sportscotland in relation to the issues raised.

Justice 2 Committee

19th Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 4

1. Items in private: The Committee will consider whether to take items 5 and 6 in private.

2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments-

the European Communities (Services Of Lawyers) Amendment (Scotland) Order 2004 (SSI 2004/186); and

the Supervised Attendance Order (Prescribed Courts) (Scotland) Order 2004

(SSI 2004/194).

 

3. Petition: The Committee will consider the following petition-

PE578 Petition by Mr Donald MacKinnon calling for the Scottish Parliament to take the necessary steps to extend the right of absolute privilege available to those who complain about the conduct of a range of public bodies, to young and vulnerable people who report abuse to an appropriate authority.

4. Constitutional Reform Bill: The Committee will take evidence on the Constitutional Reform Bill currently before the UK Parliament from-

Colin Boyd QC, the Lord Advocate, Paul Cackette, Head of Civil Justice Division, and Glynis McKeand, Head of Civil Jurisdiction and Court Procedure Branch, Civil Justice Division, the Scottish Executive.

5. Youth Justice Inquiry: The Committee will consider its remit and approach to this inquiry.

6. Tenements (Scotland) Bill: The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 Report.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee

3rd Meeting, 2004

The Committee will meet at 4.00 pm in Committee Room 3

1. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee will be invited to declare any relevant interests.

2. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 6 in private.

3. Consideration of late objections: The Committee will consider a paper on late objections to the Bill.

4. Petition: The Committee will consider a paper on the petition of Stow Station Supporters.

5. Preliminary consideration of objections: The Committee will consider a paper on the preliminary consideration of objections.

6. Approach to consideration of accompanying documents: The Committee will consider its approach to the consideration of the accompanying documents to the Bill.

 

Top