|Back to the Scottish Parliament||Health and Sport Committee Report|
4th Report, 2011 (Session 3)
Report on the Legislative Consent Memorandum on the
Remit and membership
To consider and report on (a) health policy and the NHS in Scotland and other matters falling within the responsibility of the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing and (b) matters relating to sport falling within the responsibility of the Minister for Public Health and Sport.
Committee Clerking Team:
Clerk to the Committee
Senior Assistant Clerk
The Committee reports to the Parliament as follows—
1. The Health and Social Care Bill1 (“the Bill”) was introduced into the House of Commons of the UK Parliament on 19 January 2011. As this Bill makes provisions for purposes that lie within the competence of the Scottish Parliament, or that will alter that legislative competence or the executive competence of the Scottish Ministers, a Legislative Consent Memorandum (“LCM”) has been lodged by the Scottish Government as required by Rule 9B.3.1(a) of Standing Orders.
2. The Parliamentary Bureau referred the LCM to the Health and Sport Committee for consideration. A copy of the LCM is available online.2
3. The Committee invited relevant health organisations in Scotland to submit their views, in writing, on the provisions of the LCM. As a result, seven submissions were received.3
4. The Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing, Nicola Sturgeon MSP, attended the Health and Sport Committee meeting on 23 February 2011 to give oral evidence on the LCM.4 Subsequently, the Cabinet Secretary provided supplementary written evidence to the Committee on the LCM.5
5. Following the evidence session, the Committee agreed to recommend to the Parliament that legislative consent on the Health and Social Care Bill be granted.
1 Health and Social Care Bill 2010-11. Available at: http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-11/healthandsocialcare.html
2 Legislative Consent Memorandum LCM (S3) 33.1. Available at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/legConMem/LCM-2010-2011/HealthSocialCare-lcm.pdf
3 Scottish Parliament Health and Sport Committee, 3rd Meeting 2011 (Session 3), 23 February 2011. Available at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/committees/hs/papers-11/hep11-03.pdf
4 Scottish Parliament Health and Sport Committee. Official Report, 23 February 2011, Cols 3911-3924. Available at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/committees/hs/or-11/he11-0302.htm#Col3911
5 Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing, 28 February 2011. Available at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/committees/hs/documents/2011.02.28CabSectoCG.pdf