|Back to the Scottish Parliament||Minutes of Proceedings Vol. 1, No. 8 Session 3|
Meeting of the Parliament
Wednesday 6 June 2007
Note: (DT) signifies a decision taken at Decision Time.
The meeting opened at 2.30 pm.
1. Time for Reflection: Mark Greene, London Institute for Contemporary Christianity, led Time for Reflection.
2. Ministerial Statement: The Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing (Nicola Sturgeon) made a statement and answered questions on the Future of Accident and Emergency Units at Ayr and Monklands Hospitals.
3. Safer and Stronger: The Parliament debated the subject of Safer and Stronger.
4. Business Motion: Bruce Crawford, on behalf of the Parliamentary Bureau, moved S3M-125—That the Parliament agrees the following programme of business—
5. Decision Time: There were no decisions to be taken on the above items.
6. Rescue from Moving Water: The Parliament debated S3M-81 in the name of Roseanna Cunningham—That the Parliament notes with concern the rising number of incidents involving persons trapped in moving water, including incidents in the River Tay at Perth on 23 July and 21 September 2006 and 6 March 2007, two of which resulted in deaths; further notes that there is no clear duty imposed on fire and rescue services to rescue from moving water, resulting in inconsistent practice across Scotland and the threat of disciplinary action against officers who carry out rescues outwith their operational remit, and considers that this is a situation which requires urgent review.
The meeting closed at 5.32 pm.
P E Grice