Back to the Scottish Parliament Business Bulletin No.102/2005: Tuesday 21 June 2005
Archive Home

Business Bulletin 1999-2011

Minutes of Proceedings 1999-2011

Journal of Parliamentary Proceedings Sessions 1 & 2

Committees Sessions 1, 2 & 3

Annual reports

An
I

Section C – Future Committee Meetings

This section includes the agendas of the forthcoming committee meetings and outlines proposed future business, which may be subject to change. Committees have the right to take items in private and this will be notified as far in advance as possible.

Many committees include details of their future business on their webpages, which can be accessed at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/index.htm

The Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill Committee
22 June 2005
8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.30 am in Committee Room 1

1. Consideration Stage: The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at consideration Stage from—

Group 8: New town, Broughton and Pilrig Community Council

Promoter’s witnesses—

Brian Evans, Partner, Gillespies llp
Aileen Grant, Principal Planner, City Development Department, The City of Edinburgh Council
Andrew J Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald
Steve Mitchell, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM)
Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs Babtie

Objector’s witnesses—

Alan Welsh, New town, Broughton and Pilrig Community Council
David Todd, Treasurer, Dublin Street Residents’ Association

Group 9: Scottish Rugby Union

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Aileen Grant, Principal Planner, City Development Department, The City of Edinburgh Council
Jim Harries, Project Engineer, Transdev

Objector’s witnesses—

Graham Ireland, Finance Director, SRU
Mark Fisher, Director, CarlBro

Group 17: Mr & Mrs R.J. & J.B. McLean

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office

Objector’s witnesses

John Kennedy, Cowan & Partners
Simon Dormer, John MacGregor & Co
Keith Watters, Graham & Sibbald
Roddy McLean, JB McLean Interiors

Groups 10–16 and 18–21: Vanguard Rental (UK) Ltd, Murrayfield Indoor Sports Club; Mr Frank Early: Stepgrades Motor Accessories Ltd/Viking International: Mr Mohammed Khalili: Collinson Ceramics; Mr W Kelly; Ms P Dewar; Mr B Ronald; MRM Coachworks: UGC Properties Ltd and Partco Ltd

Promoter witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Archibald B Rintoul, District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office
Matthew Edgar, Director, Colliers CRE, Chartered Surveyors and Property Consultants
John Hyde, Fabermaunsell

Group 22: Jenners

Promoter witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two
Geoff Duke, Project Manager, (Tram Line 2)
John Hyde, Fabermaunsell

Group 23: Beauchamp

Promoter’s witnesses—

Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram

2. Proposed route changes: The Committee will consider a paper by the clerk.

3. Edinburgh Tram (Line Two) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider evidence taken during the day.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Justice 1 Committee
22 June 2005
21st Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 9.45 am in Committee Room 3

1. Work Programme: The Committee will decide whether to consider its work programme in private at its next meeting

2. Family Law (Scotland) Bill - witness expenses: The Committee will be invited to delegate to the Convener responsibility for arranging for the SPCB to pay, under Rule 12.4.3, any expenses of witnesses in relation to its consideration of the Bill.

3. Family Law (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider a draft Stage 1 report.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 29 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue its consideration of the draft Stage 1 Report on the Family Law Bill and its work programme.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Education Committee
22 June 2005
13th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 5

1. Pupil motivation inquiry: The Committee will note reports on school visits and the roundtable discussion undertaken as part of its inquiry, consider the issues raised in the evidence to the Committee and agree the scope of its report. The Committee will also agree whether or not to consider its draft report in private.

2. Forward work programme: The Committee will note its autumn work timetable and hold preliminary discussions about its 2006 activities.

Proposed future business

The Committee’s next scheduled meeting will be after the recess on 7 September 2005 and it is expected that the Committee will consider a draft report on pupil motivation and subordinate legislation on additional support for learning.

At future meetings the Committee expects to finalise the pupil motivation inquiry and take evidence to inform its early years inquiry. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Environment and Rural Development Committee
22 June 2005
19th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 2

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.

2. Inquiry into rural development: The Committee will take evidence from —

Panel 1

Professor Philip Lowe, Board Member, Countryside Agency;
Professor Mark Shucksmith, Professor of Planning, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne;
Dr Dominic Moran, Senior Natural Resource Economist, Scottish Agricultural College;

Panel 2

Graham McKee, Senior Director of Network Operations, and Irene Walker, Director, Rural Relations, Scottish Enterprise;
Sandy Brady, Director of Strategy, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, and Stuart Black, Chief Executive, Inverness and Nairn Enterprise;
Wendy Bullard, Director of Area Network, and David Nicol, Area Director, Inverness, Communities Scotland;

Panel 3

Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary, Scottish Trades Union Congress;
Niall Stuart, Deputy Parliamentary Officer and Press Officer, Federation of Small Businesses;
Helen Betts-Brown, Assistant Director for Rural Affairs, Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations; and
Jonathan Hall, Head of Rural Policy, Scottish Rural Property and Business Association.

3. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the following negative instruments—

the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/278);
the Seed Potatoes (Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/279);
the Seed Potatoes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/280);
the Pesticides (Maximum Residue Levels in Crops, Food and Feeding Stuffs) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/281); and
the Registration of Fish Sellers and Buyers and Designation of Auction Sites (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/286).

Not before 11.45 am

4. Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill - UK Legislation: The Committee will consider the Scottish Executive’s proposal to seek the Parliament’s consent to the UK Parliament legislating on devolved matters in the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill, and take evidence from—

Lewis Macdonald MSP, Deputy Minister for Environment and Rural Development.

5. Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill - UK Legislation: The Committee will consider the evidence received.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on 28 June, the Committee will conclude taking evidence for the rural development inquiry with evidence from Scottish Ministers. At that meeting it will also take evidence from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development on priorities for the forthcoming UK Presidency of the EU. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Public Petitions Committee
22 June 2005
11th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.00 am in Committee Room 4

1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions—

PE858 Protection of ancient woodland. Angela Douglas, Operations Director, Woodland Trust Scotland will make a brief statement in support of the petition, accompanied by Andrew Fairbairn and Flavia Pigot.

PE850 Renegotiation of the NUTS 11 boundaries with the European Commission, especially in relation to the South of Scotland. Andrew Wood will make a brief statement in support of his petition.

PE853 Services for children with special needs.

PE855 Maintenance of roads, pavements and footpaths.

PE864 Election of Mordechai Vanunu as Rector of the University of Glasgow.

PE868 Member-based community sports clubs – the right to buy.

2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current petitions—

PE580 Combating solvent abuse. The Committee will consider the progress of this petition.

PE504 Publication of criminal memoirs. The Committee will consider a response from the Home Office.

PE585 Siting of Detox Units. The Committee will consider a response from the Minister for Communities.

PE648 Provision of portable oxygen and pulmonary rehabilitation classes. The Committee will consider a response from the petitioner.

PE749 A moratorium on the spreading of sewage sludge pending a full inquiry into its safety. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development and Scottish Water.

PE764 Post Office Closures. The Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

PE798 Provision of wheelchairs and specialist seating services. The Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning, the Deputy Minister for Health and Community Care and the Royal Incorporation of Architects.

PE782 Modernising the treason Law. The Committee will consider responses from the petitioner, the Scottish Law Commission and the Scottish Executive.

Proposed future business

At its next meeting on Tuesday 28 June, it is expected that the Committee will consider new petitions on the removal of tolls from the Erskine Bridge; post polio syndrome; court representation for limited companies; a ban on smoking in enclosed public places; rural school closures and G8 world poverty. The Committee is also expected to further consider current petitions on the establishment of a national bird for Scotland; a public inquiry into organ retention; funding for Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital; COAST’s proposals to close an area of Lamlash Bay to all forms of marine life extraction; the regulation of health professionals; the EU Common Fisheries Policy; mental health services for the deaf/deafblind and funding for therapeutic work initiatives.

For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of the Bulletin.

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee
22 June 2005
8th Meeting, 2005

The Committee will meet at 10.30 am in Committee Room 6

1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take item 4 in private and whether to consider its draft Preliminary Stage report in private at future meetings.

2. Consideration of late objections: The Committee will consider a paper on late objections to the Bill.

3. Preliminary consideration of objections: The Committee will consider a paper on the preliminary consideration of objections.

4. Draft Preliminary Stage report: The Committee will consider a draft Preliminary Stage report.

5. Oral evidence on the general principles of the Bill: The Committee will hear evidence from—

Nicol Stephen MSP, Minister for Transport, Scottish Executive; and
Damian Sharp, Public Transport Major Infrastructure Team, Scottish Executive.

6. Draft Preliminary Stage report: The Committee will further consider a draft Preliminary Stage report.

Proposed future business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the Bill at Preliminary Stage. For further details, contact the Clerk to the Committee, whose details are provided at the end of this Bulletin.



An
I